Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

extreme winch

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extreme winch

Does anyone have an Extreme 2000 lb winch on thier Scrambler 500. How good does it work. Does a Warn 1.5 actually pull better because it draws less amps to operate. How do they hold up against water . Any info would be great. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default extreme winch

seems to me that a winch w/ more amps is going to pull better then one w/ less. ok electrian caper tells if this is the way it is brother.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default extreme winch

My scramblers altenator only puts out 19.5 amps and the battery is small. The specs on a Warn winch says it draws 44 amps at 500 pounds of pull. At 1500 lbs of pull, I doubt that my scrambler has enough power. I can't find specs on the extreme winch. The new extreme winch now says that the motor is sealed. I would hate to buy an expensive Warn system and not have it work properly because of the limited power output of a scrambler.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default extreme winch

i was hoping caper would chime in since hes a electrian. but you have to remeber the winch is running off the battery. the charging system on any of these bikes would hold up to a heavy useage of the winch for long periods of time. i think this is why these guys that plow w/ the winches seem to thave the most problems w/ the battery lights coming on and sop forth. my warn #3000 has a .9 amp motor in it the same as the 2500 as well.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default extreme winch

Originally posted by: Russ136
Does anyone have an Extreme 2000 lb winch on thier Scrambler 500. How good does it work. Does a Warn 1.5 actually pull better because it draws less amps to operate. How do they hold up against water . Any info would be great. Thanks.
Here is my take on the winch issue....
The one with less amps should seem to pull better due to the fact of the draw on the battery and charging system is alot lower...So the working time or in this case pulling time should seem better.
And the quad can handle it!!

Does that make sense!!!

Stendori...The one with more amps will pull better ..But if it draws so much that the quad can't supply the power to it at a constent rate than ...NO it will not have the TOQURE that the winch is capable of putting out!!!

So in Closing.....The same winch on a quad....May be very weak......in relation to the same winch (lets say on a chev pick-up). The truck can handle the load needed to get the most Toqure from the winch!!!

So yes the pulling power is directly affected by the Cranking amps on the battery and system!!!!!!!!!
......Caper.....

Old 03-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default extreme winch

Originally posted by: stendori
i was hoping caper would chime in since hes a electrian. but you have to remeber the winch is running off the battery. the charging system on any of these bikes would hold up to a heavy useage of the winch for long periods of time. i think this is why these guys that plow w/ the winches seem to thave the most problems w/ the battery lights coming on and sop forth. my warn #3000 has a .9 amp motor in it the same as the 2500 as well.
When the quads are used for plowing.......the battery will drain ALOT faster then the charging system will put out!!!!!!!!....that is a no Brainer answer...........

But in a perfect world the battery would hold enought charge to use the winch...with the charging system putting the same amount back with the quad at idle!!!!!!!..LOL....LOl...

That why when you price out an Alternator for your car/truck they should always ask with air/cond or with out.......This will require a larger output alt.
..........Caper......

Old 03-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default extreme winch

Simply put, more amps equals more power.
How efficient the winch is may be another matter.
Power is watts; 746 watts equal one horse power, Voltage times amps equals watts.
A good battery and keeping the motor running while winching is paramount.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default extreme winch

basicly, the bigger the battery in the amp. department the better off you are. its just like my fisher plow that is elec/over hydr. that is strickly drawing the juice form the battery. hence commerical useage requires 2 battery set ups and or a very high out put alt to keep a good charge to the battery. an atv's charging power isnt that great to begin with so the more you use the winch(steady) the harder its on the battery. just my .02

Old 03-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default extreme winch

I'll just throw in my 2cents, My warn 1500 worked awesome in my bike, keep the revs up and I never had a problem with the battery