Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Melting Plastic...... Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Melting Plastic...... Again

totun, is that a updated heat sheild or did you make that your self? where did you get your pipe coated, and how much? thanks.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my plastic replaced 3 times already and Polaris finally said that they would pay for the plastic the last time , but not the labor. The dealer did it for free but still idn't have a fix for it. I had the pipes Jet hot coated, after the first time but it still melted. After the last time of replacing it I bought some light gauge aluminum and made some shields that mount off the frame and wrap around the pipes, and now it doesn't even get warm on the side anymore. The dealer took pics of it when i took it in for service so they can fix them in the future. Good luck with the dealer, hopefully they will work with you as well as mine did.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an '05 Sportsman 800 and after almost two years, I noticed the plastic was melting. I called all kinds of numbers and couldn't get any help. I finally called my dealer and he is replacing the rear cab for free. AWESOME!!! So, in order to avoid any other probs in the future, I sent my header off to get coated by Jet-Hot. But, after reading speedy63's post, I am wondering if that will even help. I wrapped it with header wrap, but it tears up way too easy. Any ideas?

Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speedy 63 do u have any pics of the shields that you made to help absorb the heat??

Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

Sedori that is the updated sheild. They changed Feb 06. Bought my bike in Set 05. Pol part# 2876048 I also coated the sheilds and have had no problems. Coating was done up here in Ontario @ Fireball Performance. If you would lik more info just PM me.

Totun

Old 03-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Range Rover

The jet hot coating did help a lot, but not enough to stop the plastic from melting. they also put the new updated heatshields on it but it still melted afterwards. I don't have any pictures of it right now, and actually don't know how i would put them up for you to see, but if someone can explain it I will take some pictires of it today and see what i can do about uploading them. Also as i said in the earlier post i mounted the new shields off of the frame. That way they are absobing the heat from the pipe and not transferring it to the plastics. Notice that all the factory shields are mounted to the pipe, I figured that being mounted that way they are taking more heat than they can get rid of.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update for those who might want it...

I just returned from my dealer (Cowtown Powersports - Ft. Worth, TX). First of all, let me say how much they rock because they replaced my rear cab for free after two years, and with NO questions asked. Anyways, I had them look up the part number for the "updated" heat shield (Thanks Totun) and you can buy the whole kit or just the shield. I just got the shield... Why? $51.00 vs. $13.00. Polaris is basically trying to make around $40.00 for two bolts and two washers - Both of which are already on the bike.

Anyways, I am expecting my Jet-Hot coated header back tomorrow and will let everyone know how it works out. The shield won't be here until next week so I can't give a report on the whole fix.

Peace!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Range Rover

sniff! sniff! errrr... maybe thats what im smelling when (sumtin smells funky ) im out riding my 06 sportsman 800... i guess i better investigate

Old 03-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

can you show a pic, or did dealer keep em all?

Old 03-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oink,

Sorry bro, I didn't take any pics. If you are looking for pics of the heat shield, Totun has some on his page. As for the melting plastic, it's on the right side, right by the exhaust and basically right by your right leg. I have seen pictures on here so you might can find them. Just take the right panel off and you should be able to see it if it is melting.

Quick Reply: Melting Plastic...... Again