Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Melting Plastic...... Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Melting Plastic...... Again

This past weekend I replaced my front fenders on my 06 Sportsman 500 EFI because the old one was pretty banged up, when I took the seat and side panels off I seen that the rear fenders were startin to melt again along by the exhaust. I had to get it replaced onece last summer and my quad was in at the dealer for a week gettin that changed. I talked to my dealer again today and they said they weren't sure if Polaris would replace it again since they already did. Has anybody else had this same problem with their dealership and with the plastic melting twice? I would really like to know how any of you guys fixed the problem by possibly putting some kind of heat sheild around it.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i read where a few guys had to replace their plastic more then once but i beleave that polaris went good for it. they should have put more sheilds to help thew problem i beleave.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Range Rover

yah my local dealer is pretty good to me, so hopefully they'll push it through and replace, and if they don't do anything, i'm gonna get something to help take the heat away

Old 03-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

really about the only thing is coating the pipe.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT ABOUT USING HEADER TAPE WHERE THE PLASTIC IS MELTING IT WILL KEEP THE HEAT IN THE PIPE

Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

a copuple guys said they use the wrapping but it doesnt stay on very good. but it might be worth a try.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

yah i was just gonna get some kinda plate and mount it on there to protect it from the heat.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Polaris500Sportsman: I hope your dealer can assist you in getting some fresh plastic. I would suggest getting the plastic while you have the leverage but hold off putting it on until you solve the heat issue. I had the ceramic coating added to mine and the excessive heat has all but gone away. Additional heat shields (also coated) will probably do as well.

Totun

Old 03-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Totun, I looked at your pictures of your upgraded heat shield and thats exactly what I'm lookin to do is something like that. I can't see if it will work or not, because if the dealer replaces the fender under warranty they'll take the old one and off and just put the new one on. Hopefully they do replace it and I have some ideas of mountin' a heat shield. Thanks for all your help guys

Old 03-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

I made a mistake going with the red. It wasn't aware it was only rated for 1200F. It discoloured and burned up in places. The coating guy re-did it for nothing in a polished silver 2200F rated and looks as good now as the day it was put on. Interesting thing is the twin Cans on the SP800 are Steel and silver Ceramic coated. Why wouldn't Polaris....?

Totun

Quick Reply: Melting Plastic...... Again