Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear Winch - Looking for solenoid placement ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Winch - Looking for solenoid placement ideas

I'm in the process of adding another 2500 Warn to the back of my 06 SP800. It's almost mounted but I'm trying to avoid cluttering up the rear box with the second solenoid. I'd have to protect it from anything bouncing around like ****** blocks and other towing /pulling options that I keep in there. Any of you guys done this and if so what did you come up with?

Thanks For your help..

Totun

Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not wire it up to the same solinoid but then put in a 2 way switch between to switch to the front or back? Also you dont need to have the solinoid inthe box. They are waterproof. You can mount it under the fender or seat somewhere.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

The switch would have to be capable of handling the full amperage load. Studying the MV they mounted a second solenoid (not sure where) and used the low voltage solenoid actuation (20 gauge) wires to do the switching from front to rear with a switch on the Pod. Otto makes the one for Polaris and I have one is on the way that I purchased through an electronics supplier. Thanks for the advice on the solenoids being waterproof but what happens when the whole thing is underwater. Don't the terminals short out?

Tool man...not Electrician
Totun
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No they dont short out. There is not enough voltage and resistance to short out the circuit. Otherwise your battery would short out too.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure you post lots of pictures to go with this install!!! I'm starting to think a rear winch would be a good idea.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

My bud has a great set up for his winch, he wanted a winch, like you front and rear...instead he mounted/welded a reciever in the front and rear bumbers. Welded the square insert on to the back of the stock winch mount, just slides into whatever reciever he needs. Single solenoid with 2 seperate plugs front and rear for power. If you have access to a welder it may be a route you want to consider?? He later mounted a 3rd reciever vertically on the rear rack which is where the winch stores until it's needed. Learned the hard way after totally burying the front end, and couldn't get at his winch. Real slick set up. Came in REAL handy on a few runs.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider

I have done a rear winch install on an 800. I used a second solenoid and a diverter switch from an MV. I have a pic up on here! I simply made a plate and attached in to the frame in the exact location that a multi mount would. I used angle iron to attach the plate. In front of the plate, is where I mounted the second solenoid. Oh yeah, the rear box has got to go. There isn't anyway for the second winch to be strongly mounted and have the box. Mine went inplace of the rear box. I guess you could have both, but the winch would not be protected from anyone rear ending you.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

The dealer still has the quad(traded it in) I will try to get pics of the other things too!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I was thinking of using one unit and moving it around. Usually when I'm reaching for the d#$% thing the bike is in quite deep. Have to roll up my sleeve just to grab the hook. The back structure really isn't designed to take that kind of pulling so I ended up connecting the upper frame tubes, tying into the torsion rod support structure and connecting it with the lower receiver. Then I mounted the winch about half way up just below the cans. It's not the ideal height but I had one that low on my Expedition and it never failed me. Just finishing up the mount and going to send it off to get it powder coated. I will post some shots when I'm done...

Other challenges I've had is how to control it. I want the existing rocker on the bars to work but its is tough to wind the spool up nice and neat after it's used so I'm mounting another on at the back somewhere TBA. There is also a remote available on a 10' lead that could have it's advantages in some situations...Yea I'm getting carried away but I'm having a great time setting it all up.

Thanks guys you are all great support. Any other advice will all be appreciated.

Totun

Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Totun
Yes I was thinking of using one unit and moving it around. Usually when I'm reaching for the d#$% thing the bike is in quite deep. Have to roll up my sleeve just to grab the hook. The back structure really isn't designed to take that kind of pulling so I ended up connecting the upper frame tubes, tying into the torsion rod support structure and connecting it with the lower receiver. Then I mounted the winch about half way up just below the cans. It's not the ideal height but I had one that low on my Expedition and it never failed me. Just finishing up the mount and going to send it off to get it powder coated. I will post some shots when I'm done...

Other challenges I've had is how to control it. I want the existing rocker on the bars to work but its is tough to wind the spool up nice and neat after it's used so I'm mounting another on at the back somewhere TBA. There is also a remote available on a 10' lead that could have it's advantages in some situations...Yea I'm getting carried away but I'm having a great time setting it all up.

Thanks guys you are all great support. Any other advice will all be appreciated.

Totun

I see people put a bungie cord on the end of the winch cable and hook the other end to the rack........

This way you will not need to reach under the water to grab your hook!!!!!!!!!!!!...Caper......

Mine on the 450 sportsman is mounted quite high which I like..... when pulling the front end of the quad drops and digs in for more pulling traction............Like all of the newer Sportsmans are now.........

Quick Reply: Rear Winch - Looking for solenoid placement ideas