Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge

Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge

I have a 2006 500efi and was wondering if there if there is a kit to install a water temp gauge kit and a oil pressure gauge kit. I now quadovator has a water temp kit but is there any other place to locate it. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

First of all, welcome to the forums.

As for the water temp gauge, I too looked at the Quadovator kit. I looked at the price, $59 plus $10 extra for the threaded t-stat cover plus probably $10 for shipping to Canada. So for $79 I too could have my own temp gauge. At first I thought it was a good deal, but then I went shopping around. I found I could get the exact same gauge from my local parts store for $30 CAD. So then I got thinkin, how much would it cost for 6 feet of wire and some ends to connect it all?? Nothing at all. I looked thru my toolbox and found wire and ends, more than enough for the install. Then for the t-stat housing..... Low and behold I had a drill bit and tap the correct size. So then I was off to the drill press. With a steady eye I drilled the housing dead center and then tapped it. Now for mounting the gauge. I looked thru some junk and found a 1 1/2" hole saw. Off to the press again. Now with everything drilled and tapped, I wired the gauge and installed every thing. Total cost $30. Total time about 45 minutes. I think Quadovator is makin a killing. Maybe I should start selling gauges too!! LOL

Now I haven't ran across any oil pressure gauges, but I'm sure there out there somewhere. I've heard these bike run pretty low oil pressure, but I don't know for sure, and I'm not sure where to tap into the engine for a correct reading either, but I'm sure someone on here does.

Hope this helps
Todd

Old 03-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check high lifter as well for i beleleave they have both.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the reply. thats some good advice.
you know im not even going to order one from quadovator

i think im going to do what scrammytodd said that sounds pretty easy to do

im going to the local walmart store and getting the white oil and water gauges that seem to match the speedo gauge.

I just picked up a service manual and it looks to me that you can attatch the oil pressure gauge to the blind plug on the front left cylinder head for the proper reading . under Oil Pressure Test in the manual. The proper reading is 20 psi at 5500 rpm.

with a 1/8 adapter you should be able to use it.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i had good luck w/ my quadovator gauge install. im getting lazy in my old age and it was easier then trying to put them together. just remeber that these gauges like walmart or most of them arent waterproof.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scrammy, what did you use for your thermostat? and how did you mount it on to the quad?Thanks

Old 03-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

im guessing the gauge came w/ a sensor that he tapped into the cover. high lifter also makes a mechanical gauge as well that you mount in the radiator lines.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Polaris500Sportsman
Scrammy, what did you use for your thermostat? and how did you mount it on to the quad?Thanks
For the Thermosat housing, I just drilled and tapped it for the provided sender in the gauge package. I mounted it in the top right of my pod, beside the speedo. I used the electric gauge. I ordered a mechanical one first, but the bulb was about 2" long, and the fitting was as big as the t-stat housing LOL I don't think it woulda worked too well.

My setup is the exact same as the pics on Quadovator.com

Old 04-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SCRAMMYTODD
I think Quadovator is makin a killing. Maybe I should start selling gauges too!! LOL
Come on, don't get hasty. He is a good guy trying to make a dollar. I planned to build a trail washer pump one time and couldn't get the "SAME" parts as his any cheaper. Same for the reverse override and reverse light kits. I did do it myself and when it was finished, I spent MORE money than he was asking, also had added convienience of the extra guess work, as I had no directions. Anyway, he knows some things can be done cheaper. But for some people a "kit" is a nice way to do business! Gives some folks a warm fuzzy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

im still thinking about buying a washer system or building one if i ever get done screwing w/ these stupids things. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge