Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone come up on a bear while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone come up on a bear while riding?

i have come across deer moose and bear. i'll stop to check out the deer. the bear and moose just ran away when i came up on them which is fine by me. i dont need any trouble.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

I saw 2 more deer yesterday.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: brutus450
i once saw a moose while riding in NY - they are scarey - she was riding an X2

It should be illegal to sell a quad to a moose. Write your congressman.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in one summer almost hit 3 different deer ,one I topped the hill really fast to get some air and found out the a Z doesn't stop really welll when it's flying threw the air ,missed the deer by inches mud and dirt was thrown into my face from her trying to get out of my way ,
almost hit another doe and fawn running across the fire road ,did a stoppie on that one .

Old 04-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

Last year I came about ten yards from hitting a black bear cub while going pretty close to wide open. That could have been a mess...me and my quad. The cub ran into the woods about 20 yards and the ran parallel to the trail for quite aways. I rode along side for awhile trying to catch my breath, then left before mama came to eat me.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time my son and I go to Iron River, Wisconsin, to ride,we kick up a bear, they usually run like rabbits across the trail, or we see them scoot through the woods. A couple of years ago, we scared up a pair of young ones, then about 100 yards down the trail, ran into mama, she was huge, easily bigger than my Wolverine, a good 400 pound bear, and she wasn't moving, we stopped less than 60 yards away, and had a staring contest for almost a minute, I told my son to turn around and get ready to run, but then she slowly walked off the trail,looking back at us several times before she disappeared, and we got the heck out of there as fast as possible. The next night, a bear came into our camp, and tried to get into my truck, my fiberglass toneau cover still has the claw marks to prove it !!

Old 04-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh yeah,seen lots of black bears,the odd grizzly ,acouple of times with cubs,moose,deer,wolfs,lynx,coyotes,you name it,have seen lots of wildlife,but live in the rocky mountains foothills in alberta,around jasper national park.so we get to see alot,most of the times ,they will take off,i've found that if they here you ,they will take off,but with a grizzly mom with cubs ,i take off.ha.shot a moose this last fall,next morning,a buddy and i went to drag i out ,and while we were at the spot where i shoot it,a big ,and it was huge grizzly ,came out of the mountains and was heading our way,probably got a sniff of the gut pile ,and was looking for one last meal before it went to sleep for the winter,it ran off,but we didn't stick around long,we had our rifle's ,but still didn't want to test our luck,a hungrey male grizzly can be a bad thing,gotta watch out for moose also,they will sometimes run out in front of you,trying to get some distance between you ,they're kinda stupid,swamp donkeys,taste good though.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Haven't seen a moose or bear yet. Turkeys of the animal and human kind. Scared up a hawk that was chowing on a field mouse. At 345lbs. I've been mistaken for both moose and bear.... Watch out for cubs in the spring if you're out riding. Generally not a good idea to get between a sow and her cubs. This thread could lead to a, "stupid things you've seen people do with animals", thread.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ive seen Bear, and a moose in Minnesota, and Timberwolves twice. My uncle, about 4yrs agao when we were all out riding, saw a cougar, at about 75 yard. He said he estimated it at about 150lbs. Not a cat i want to wrestle with

Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Diamondback Rattler next to the trail today! WOOHOO!

Quick Reply: Anyone come up on a bear while riding?