Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Boot Replacement----HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Boot Replacement----HELP !

I used carb and choke cleaner on mine then used the air compressor to blow it all out. You want to make sure you get all the sand out.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

That's a good idea Speed. I use carb & brake cleaner all of the time to clean things, so I have a lot of that. Thanks for the input, I appreciate, and can use all of the help I can get [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

make sure you regrease it good so you dont loose your expensive cv.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

OVER EXAGERATE on the cleaning process. Look for rust or sticking areas. Move that thing all around. If you notice ANY sticking or grabbing, I would not use it. The back isn't as much critical as the front. Believe me, if the front grabs, even for a split second while riding, the handle bars could be litterally ripped out of you hands and you are now doing an impersonation of superman! Alot of people have stated that the 4X4 is acting up and yanking the handlebars, I wonder if some of them also have a front CV grabbing. I thought my AWD was acting up too, until I tore into it. Mine was a torn boot and dirt was in there locking it up at random. When it locks up it will force the bars to be turned. I first noticed the steering to be "flinching", then the more I rode it, the worse it got! If you are able to troubleshoot while this is happening, you will see that when it locks up, that wheel also will not roll! The back isn't as critical, because it is mounted straight. It would force through the stuck situation and you may not even notice it. Eventually you'd hear it starting to click! I only share all this info, because you admitted that you were new. We all are new when we first start something. Keep asking questions. You will only benefit yourself!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

instigater is correct. its not something that you would think is bad when really it is on the front. i have seen my share of bad ones and usually what happens is the crome gets taken off the ***** and then starts wearing into the groves and bingo you have the clicking noise. in my experince, once a boot is ripped and you have riden it any lenth of time, kiss the cv good bye from the water and dirt. it makes for good sandpaper inside. i got to replace one on my other buds bf650 that the boot came off and i repacked it w/ good grease (after i cleaned it) and still it started clicking in a short time after. once they start there gone.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

Hey instegater,you make a great point my handlebars were jerking periodically for a while then I notice the front right boot was ripped.Well I changed the front diff oil and boot around the same time.Ive been assuming that changing the oil in the front diff fixed my prob. but that wasnt it, cause when I had my cv joint off it had some sand in it and would stick when moving the joint w/my hand.after cleaning the joint w/parts cleaner and putting the new cv grease in there I havnt had anymore problems..Ill bet that was it from the get go...............hmmm..thanks

Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

Great info guys and a lot of help. I will keep my eye open when I start cleaning it. That is what I like about this site & forum.....many, many diff ideas on one subject, and everyone so great about helping someone new to the mechanics of it all. I have been riding diff types of machines since I was a wee calf, and ATV (only and always Polaris) for 10 years now.

rick

Old 03-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

Okie Doakie, I done took that little rascle apart. You were alllllllllllllll right, nothing to it whatsoever once I got started. BOYYYYY what a mess after riding it three rides without the boot, through the rocks, sand, dirt, river, swamps, and you name it. Looks OK though, all still nice and shiney, however after I washed it out with carb cleaner, it had a lot of screeeeechin and scratschin you could sure here the sand grinding in there. Right now it is soaking in a gallon jug full of diesel, until I get some clamp pliers Monday morn.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Did the bad side first, will do the good side Monday just for drill and experience.......Maybe I will take some pictures Monday for those that have never done one

Mucho Thanks guys,
rick

Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

Glad to hear that all went well.....smart move buying the clamp pliars....you can do it with needle nose but you sure have to curse alot more..lol

Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

rick, what do you mean the good side. i hope your taking one off thats not ripped or anything. theres a old saying if it aint broke not fix it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Front Boot Replacement----HELP !