Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Boot Replacement----HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Boot Replacement----HELP !

I have a 2004 Sportsman 600, and I need to replace the fron boots. I have ordered a full repair manual from Polaris, but it will be 1 week until it gets here (boyyyyyy are they slow). Does anyone know of a site I can go to to download the step by step procedure, orrrrrrrrrr does anyone have a repair manual that they could send me that section via e-mail??

I'm just an "OLD" dumb cowboy, and don't have a lot of knowledge about these things. Any and alllllllllll help will be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Old 03-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum rick. are they the inside or outside boots? the outside ones are easier and you dont have to pull the cv out. its pretty simple. when you pull tire, break caliper off, and the big nut on the shaft off your half way home.just look at it and you can pretty much see what you have to take off to get to it.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the explanation. Only one is torn off, and mine only have boots on the outside that I can see, on the front that is. I usually just jump right in and start on something, but I don't have much knowledge on ATV's.

Thanks again

rick

Old 03-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

hey ccr,welcome to the forum...I just recently changed my my front boot for the first time.Its a fairly simple job..just make sure you remember where everything goes when you put it back together ie:bearings and such.I suggest using the earless style clamps because alot of the aftermarket ones will not fit in the strut housing.You can buy a clamp tool for them on e-bay for 16 bucks.good luck...let us know how it goes....

Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Hey dthack, thanks for the info. I was reading on another thread about the clamp tool, and I went to ebay and looked, and I saw several by KDTools, but I didn't know which one would work.

I bought the boots and clamps from polaris, so I assume they are the earless type clamps, anyway I don't see any ears on them, however I can see that a person would be best to have the proper tool to fit in those little tiny holes. Do you mind telling me which model tool to buy on ebay" Here is where they are located I think:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=CV+clamp+tool

Thanks
Rick

Old 03-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

yea you must have universles on the inside. as long as its a earless tool it will work. you could use a pair of good needle nose pliers as well i do beleave.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot stendori, yes, I do have universles on the inside. But I am not sure just what you mean by an earless tool. Maybe I will just have to wing it once I get to that point.

I appreciate all of the help guys, thanks a bunch.

rick

Old 03-31-2007, 06:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

rick ,here is a pic of one.pliers look at the ends and you'll see the points that would grab the clamp. hope that clears it up for you.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

I think I may be able to clear something up. The "earleass" that he is talking about is for the CV boot clamp. This is after the new boot is on and inplace, you will need to re-clamp the boot.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot stendori & instigator, That makes it all clear now. The pliers have been ordered and should be on the way Monday....

One other question.....The boot has been torn off for awhile, and YES this dumb cowhand did ride it that way a few times. Soooooo what is the best way to clean that joint out, and what is best to use cleaning it before I put the new boot on?

Quick Reply: Front Boot Replacement----HELP !