Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Boot Replacement----HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Boot Replacement----HELP !

Goooood point stendori, me thinks maybe I should leave the other side alone, and put the other new boot in the back box just in case. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

One thing I try to do is, clean my boots really good. I do this by, jacking up the quad, put it in gear, rotate the drive line and use a garden hose and a soft brush at the same time. Gently brush the CV boot while the water hose is rinsing away the dirt/mud. If you don't the dirt that is left in there can continue to pack and also work like sand paper to prematurely wear a hole in the boot. Once done, you can also get a good visual inspection to ensure all is well. When it drys, spray a little Armour All on them too, conditions the rubber! You don't "HAVE" to do all this, we each take care of our investments in different ways!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

We don't have mud in Arizona......However good preventive maintenance is a good thing, and the idea of washing the boot off just makes sence to me, and so does the armorall....thanks Instigater

rick

Old 04-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: crosscountryrider
We don't have mud in Arizona......However good preventive maintenance is a good thing, and the idea of washing the boot off just makes sence to me, and so does the armorall....thanks Instigater

rick
I am not used to looking at peoples location. I hear the riding is excelent out there! My buddy just got back from there, he wants to move badly, has a job offer and everything, he's just not convinced I guess!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, we really enjoy the riding that's for sure, and we can ride 12 months of the year, in the summer we ride "bareback" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

All kidding aside, it is nice to take off and ride without any kind of permits needed. I am street legal, but when I take out a trail ride 99% of the people are not. We go at least once a week, and most weeks twice alllllllllll day from sunup till sundown.

In the April, June, July, & August, I take off and ride for a week or two, and never go on a paved road except to cross one once in a great while. Last summer my longest ride was 469 miles. Just me, my dog, my tent, my 410 shotgun and my trusty Polaris, all off road.

Where is your friend thinking about moving to??

Old 04-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

I think it is somewhere near Pheonix. He mentioned riding at Crown King, and a few other places but I can not remember them!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Trailblazer

Crown King is North of Phoenix, but accesible from there. A greatttttt ride, but the only problem it is all on government roads, and they like to patrol them rascles to much and check for ages, license, helmets (on their property), etc. etc.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well, it is all done and doing great. I want to thank all of you on this forum that walked me through and prodded me to just dig in and get it done even if I didn't know what I was doing. It's amazing how simple a job it is once you just jump in with both feet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

A little side note to those that might be replacing their front boots in the future........On mine, a 2004 Sportsman 600 twin, the front only has out side boots (universals on the inside), and I was baffled at how to clean the CV joint properly, as well as how to get the boot on, because the CV joint would not slip off of the shaft. I called a friend and he said there was a snap ring that had to be removed....NOT TRUE !........ After looking for an hour for the snap ring, I called another Polaris friend & mechanic, and he said just take a soft hammer or a small block of wood and tap the CV joint.....Did that and POOOOOFFFFFFFF, it just dropped of in my hand. Sure easy to get it realllllllllllllll clean thataway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Once again, thanks for all of your help, couldn't /wouldn't have done it with out y'all......

rick