Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called a dealer today just to see what he has and he told me about this 1999 Polaris Explorer 400 4x4 he just got in. To me it sounds really good. Look:

1.500 miles
2.Complete new front end
3.Warn Winch
4.Brand new rebuild
5.$3400.00

I find that to be an incredible price for a machine with only 500 miles. Thats over $1600 off of a new one plus a winch. Anyway, I asked him why such a good deal and he said that the guy stored it outside and it has rust "here and there" on the frame. So now, what should i do about the rust? Are there ways to get rid of it or stop it from spreding? I really would like this quad cause I am putting a plow on it and I know it will do awesome.
So I guess what I am really asking is:
1.should i buy?
2.what can i do about the rust?
3.which plow to buy

I heard a moose 50" country plow is great and thats what I think I am going to get (if I buy the quad) If you have one let me know what you think of it. Thanks in advance

Old 12-22-2000, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Sand the rust down to bare metal, and apply a good quality primer to the area. Top it off with a matching color (as close as you can) enamel.

Old 12-22-2000, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Derek I really would look into it more, I dont like the sound that the machine had a brand new front end, and it needed a rebuild on the engine. It being a '99 should'nt need nothing new, this sounds like to me that it's been totaled.
If I were you I would'nt do it!!!

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-22-2000, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

He said that the guy flipped it and did total the front end. But if it is brand new, it would not affect it right?

Old 12-23-2000, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I went and looked at it today. It really didnt look that bad. There was a "tiny" bit of rust here and there on the frame but i think if you looked hard enough every fourwheeler does. So no problem there. But there were other problems:

1.Wouldn't start electrically
2.Winch rope is all tangled.
3.2 flat tires
4.Rust all over the winch holder bracket

After he pullstarted it and it warmed up for about a minute or two it ran great, but I have a couple of questions about the winch. Have any of you ever had your winch rope break, this winch did not look very clean and I am thinking I would be replacing it in the future. Also that bracket that holds the winch, could I but that seperatly cause it was rusted all to hell. Thirdly, it has an alternator right? Once we pull started it it ran for about 10 minutes and then we tried the battery again and it still only clicked. Sound familier to anyone? Im planning on heading back up there wednesday to take a look at it but help me out with some answers. Thanks

Old 12-23-2000, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

Would you be comfortable buying a car that was wrecked?....if you were..you're crazy.....don't let the dollar be your determining factor....spend the xtra$$$ and get a new one...who knows what else is wrong that no-one knows about..bent frame??? total neglect??...I say no!

'01 scram 500 4x2
'98 honda 90 (sons)

Old 12-23-2000, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I would not touch it. If the winch mount is all rusted it must not be too new. The clicking starter sounds like a dead battery, a frozen starter or a shot one.

Like I said, if it was me I would not even think about buying it. If it is so good, why is he selling it so cheap?

Peace of mind = buy something not wrecked.

Old 12-24-2000, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

For what I am buying it for I would only use it on certain occasions, I can't afford to spend 7 grand on a new one to put 200 miles on it each year. I would like to find another cheap one that HAS been taken care of. But those are still 4 or 5 thousand, and then again, they might look good but the engion could be worn out. You just cant trust used quads but when you don't have the money to buy new what can you do?

Old 12-24-2000, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Deals like this come once in a lifetime but they are high-risk deals. To me, from what you have mentioned on this thread, the red light is on and flashing. Chances are that if the deal sounds to good to be true it probably is.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 12-24-2000, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

when I had my trailblazer the clicking noise means a enw starter most of the time about 300.00. Sounds like a money pit to me I would not buy it