Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I'm taking up a collection to buy some ammunition...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm taking up a collection to buy some ammunition...

...to shoot the folks who designed the SP500 engine's oil system. I just did my first oil change on our two Polaris machines, my SP700 and my wife's SP500. The SP700 is very simple, just like a car. Drain the old oil, remove the filter, replace the filter, replace the drain plug, fill with oil, check for leaks, done. 15 minutes tops. But the SP500 - arrrrrrrggggghhhhh!

Remove the drain plug, no problem. Remove the oil filter, ditto. Huh? Another filter? OK, we'll clean that too. Oh, it's in the (separate) oil tank using a 7/8ths fitting that a wrench can only span at one angle. No problem, except that it IS a problem because there's no way to get leverage within the frame of the quad. Finally remove the *entire* oil tank just to get at the fitting. Remove fitting and clean screen. Replace fitting. Reinstall oil tank. Almost done, right? NO! "There is still about a cup of oil in the crankcase. Remove the crankcase drain plug." In other words, there are TWO drain plugs on this machine - one on the engine and another on the separate oil tank! And the crankcase drain plug is immediately next to the driveshaft, RIGHT at the universal joint where the clearance is tightest. Getting the plug out is really difficult, and replacing it is nearly impossible. Finally, finally, it's time to replace the oil filter (the one and only thing that is actually convenient in this whole process) and fill with oil. Done? No... you have to clamp the separate oil tank's vent hose (way up high within the frame, under the gas tank) to confirm vacuum. Listen for the hiss of the air!

Sheesh, what a nightmare. It's worth upgrading to an SP700 just to make oil changes faster and easier. I've never seen a more difficult system. We love the SP500 in every other way, but wow. Why on earth would anyone design it this way on purpose?!?

Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same feeling when I did my first!!!

Don't worry.............Be happy................The next one will be a breeze!!!!!!!!!
..............Caper.....................

Old 04-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Range Rover

1:Another filter? OK, we'll clean that too. Take a wrench and come in from the right side. Put the end of the open end wrench over the plug, use a smaller wrench to turn the big one. Makes it pretty easy. You really do not have to worry about that screen every oil change.

2: "There is still about a cup of oil in the crankcase. No need to woory about the cup in the engine. But if you do, place the machine up on a jack, makes it a lot easier to put the plug back in.
3:No... you have to clamp the separate oil tank's vent hose (way up high within the frame, under the gas tank) to confirm vacuum. Listen for the hiss of the air!
I was lucky with this one. I live in the south and do not have to worry about constant cold temps.
therefore I was able to eliminat the moisture expansion slit in the hose. That enables me to pull the hose at the airbox to prime it.

It is kind of a pain, it does get easier each time.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

if you need to take a collection for a 50cent bullet, then how the heck did you afford both of those new machines?

Just playin with ya [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I AM NOT looking forward to doing my oil change - I am going to take it to the dealer and have him show me for the first time. See how the experienced ones do it before I do it

Sounds like a horrible pain in the butt, but half the fun is working on these things - to me anyways

Old 04-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: brutus450
if you need to take a collection for a 50cent bullet, then how the heck did you afford both of those new machines?
You think those engine designer guys would share the single bullet? no....... they would all get hundreds- at 50 cents a bullet- it does add up

Old 04-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

Well i wish i could agree but thats what the dealers are there for bring it in no aggravation..$50.00 is a small price to pay for an oil change what every 6 months or once a year ....depending on how much riding you do ......You know the saying goes if you cant afford the maintenance,,,You can"t afford the machine (besides if anything goes wrong with machine its the dealers fault i like it better when i can blame someone else....)..

Old 04-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know where you can get an oil change on a polaris 500 for $50.00. The two quarts of oil (2.something for a 500) and a filter cost me like $23.00. I think a service around here goes for $60.00 plus parts. Thats like $90.00 with tax!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: trailbound
I don't know where you can get an oil change on a polaris 500 for $50.00. The two quarts of oil (2.something for a 500) and a filter cost me like $23.00. I think a service around here goes for $60.00 plus parts. Thats like $90.00 with tax!
From the dealer here in NY where i bought my machine from $15 for the 2 oils $8.50 for the filter and $30 for labor Total $55.50 (sorry about the $50 math was off a little off ) But still even at $55 i don't think thats much at all for peace of mind and no worries .....

Old 04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Its nice to know that there are still dealers out there that treat their customers right.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

my dealer said that when I come in for an oil change, he would do a full maint check on the whole bike, check all fluids, bearings, fittings and all operations for 60 bucks.

Quick Reply: I'm taking up a collection to buy some ammunition...