Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need help with newly purchased quad...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007 | 09:28 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default need help with newly purchased quad...

i'm totally new into the ATV world, and looking for some help.

this weekend, i purchased a 99 polaris xplorer 300 4x4. it's in near mint condition. have some quick questions, and i figured some of you pros may know the answer to them...

first off, how do i tighten the chains on this thing? they're not loos now, but i'm sure they will be later on.

second, how the heck do i get to the spark plug to change it??? it seems to be buried in there pretty good.

third, how hard is it to change the rear brake pads... i think they're shot. squeakin like a *****!

thanks in advance

daniel

Old 04-16-2007 | 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

polaris does not make it easy to get at the plug. You will need a plug socket (one with the rubber in it). I found it is easier to place the socket with a short extension onto the plug and then put a socket on it once it is in there.

Old 04-16-2007 | 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

get the service repair manual you'll be very happy when you have it in your hands when something needs attention. as for the plug, im not familiar with your atv model but do what it takes to get that baby out. remove side plastics? fuel tank? you got the will, there's a way. i know on some atv's the side platics are removed and/or even the fuel tank to get to the spark plug. as for the chain adjustment, on my atv's you have to loosen the 2 rear axle brackets and turn the axle either way to loosen or tighten it to adjust it to correct specs, then you must tighten the 2 rear axle brackets to a specified torque with a torque wrench. if over tightened you will destroy the bearings in the axle.

Old 04-17-2007 | 02:06 AM
Trailblazer

I just recently bought a "beater" 98 Xlporer 300 as a wife,niece,nephew,friend etc..etc.. quad. So being a beater, I'm already pretty familiar with it.

As for the chains..On the rear you need to compress the suspension(i used a ratcheting strap) to the point where the axle,center & engine sprocket are in alignment(a straight line looking at them from the rear) and then loosen the two rear bolts,put a punch or rod through the sprocket into the housing & slightly roll the quad forward or back to loosen or tighten the chain till you have about 3/8" slack when pushing down on the center of the chain(midway between the sprockets).
The center chain is similar,only loosen the two bolts at the front sprocket(near the footrest),do the "punch thing" till you have 1/4 to 1/2" slack. Then adjust the front the same..only on the front you have one bolt straight up into the bottom of the front sprocket housing..or concentric..which is located through a hole in the bottom skid plate about mid to 3/4 of the way back from the centerline of the front sprocket....I think torque for all the bolts is 40ftlbs.

I found the easiest way to get to the plug is to take the left panel off, use a 13/16 sparkplug socket with the "nut type end on it & and a 3/4" wrench on the end of the socket... you may not even need to take the panel off...it's pretty tight though.

On the rear brakes...haven't removed mine...I did adjust them fairly easily though...I think to remove them you just detach the foot brake rod,remove the two caliper bolts,flip the caliper over,work the two pad retaining pins out far enough to remove the pads,set the new ones in & just reassemble.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-17-2007 | 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

when you adj. the rear chain you may have to loosen the 2 bolts on the bottem of the brake caliper. I have to on my 400 explr. got to have the repair manual, will save you big$$$$ is yours a 2 stroke?