Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 800 or yamaha grizz 700

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris 800 or yamaha grizz 700

I'd like to put the Outlander's 800 Rotax engine and rear suspension in the Grizzly. Those are the two features on the Outlander that are make it something special. Maybe add the seat from the Polaris and perhaps the racks with the accessory system. I'm not sold on the Polaris rack system but I'm anxious to try it. I've only lived with metal racks long term.

I prefer the Yamaha 4x4 system. I've used the Polaris AWD system long enough now to know I don't care for it. It's fine and it works well and all one has to do it punch the switch and it does the rest. I don't like the feel of the very small bit of slip before the front wheels kick in. It doesn't really have any effect on performance or cause any problems in any but the most infinitesimal of cases but I find it annoying. It happened all day today and it bugged the crap out of me. Slip grab slip grab. I find I prefer a manual locker. Just my personal preference. The Polaris system is fine and works as advertised, which is great, it just bugs me.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
I prefer the Yamaha 4x4 system. I've used the Polaris AWD system long enough now to know I don't care for it. It's fine and it works well and all one has to do it punch the switch and it does the rest. I don't like the feel of the very small bit of slip before the front wheels kick in. It doesn't really have any effect on performance or cause any problems in any but the most infinitesimal of cases but I find it annoying. It happened all day today and it bugged the crap out of me. Slip grab slip grab. I find I prefer a manual locker. Just my personal preference. The Polaris system is fine and works as advertised, which is great, it just bugs me.
I do not want to get into a bashing session, but I tend to bog mine for 1-2 hours at a time. I have never noticed any of the 1/5th rotation rear wheel slipping before it kicks in, and I surely never noticed it kicking out once it is in AWD. Before Yami came out with the p/s, Polaris AWD was superior, IMO. Now it doesn't take 2.5 men to hold onto the bars while going through our style terrain in diff lock. So, now neither is better. Both quads front wheels turn all the time and both are easy to steer. I have bogged against an '03 Grizz, same ground clearance and tires, his quad was modified more than mine, mine was going through the stuff way easier.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gizz 700 FI. Cheap racks!!
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>

Oh come on!! Polaris racks arent much better for strength! They are nice for storage though.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

This seems like a good comparison to get in on, couldn't resist. The Yamaha is good all the way around as long as you're satisfied with the okay power you get from it, and you're comfortable with the quality of Yamaha, sometimes I question it. The Polaris puts out about ten more hp though and the Outlander is even more at 62 but feels like it has twenty more than a Polaris. The engine braking is better on the Can-Am than a Polaris, and the Can Am provides even better engine braking going down hill in 4wd than a Polaris that doesn't actually work in 4wd at all unless the rear wheels are spinning whereas the engine braking works in 4wd on the Can Am as long as it's in 4wd. I by no means think the visco lock is a bad setup in comparison to the other two. Think it works pretty good actually. The power steering is nice on the Grizzly espicially negotiating very technical terrain, but I hate how wishy washy the steering feels on a Polaris. The only real nice thing about the Polaris is how smooth of a ride it gives, and the closeable storage. I think both the Can Am and Grizzly aren't far behind, in providing a soft ride they're both almost as comfortable. The only complaint I have about the Can Am is lack of under carriage protection that Polaris and Yamaha already have covered, and the slightly higher price tag. If the steering system on the Polaris was better I would have more support for it, and if the Yamaha actually had the power of a 700 I would feel similarly about the Yamaha. As is stands, aside from the price tag of the Can Am, I think it's a better machine.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, cheap racks, by that I mean light. That support in the middle is always bent if you look at one, 02-06 660s. I haven't broke a polaris rack in 6000 miles on three machines, or even scratched them for that matter, but I am carefull. Yamaha has to cut weight somewhere and in my openion this is one of the places where they do it. Now AC racks are the toughest in the buisness, openion. I had to straighten the racks on 2 05 machines the other day at work and it took a fork lift and a come along winch. I can bend back yamaha racks with a pry bar. But in defense of yamaha, maby bending steel is beter then cracking plastic in the case of a roll over or tree hit. I still like my plastic racks, which are supported by a metal frame underneath. Stuff dosn't fall through as easy.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

well Ive got a buddy with a new 700 grizz, we ride hard. He has rolled it 5 xs in 300 miles. I havent tossed mine. My SP 700 beats the grizz easily except in a wheelie contest.and the 800Sp in my garage beats my 700SP . The grizz steering is nice but not really necessary, rides nice on trails not as "plush" as the Polaris.The front rack/ bumper on the grizz is junk, I "tweaked it while trying to yank it out of a major snow drift (the whole front clip doesnt fit right on the grizz any more.Also the efi on the grizz doesnt like cold weather hard starts and stalls for no reason when ya let off the gas. Thats some of my personal expierince go ride them both as close in time as possible. Ride it like ya stole it!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Range Rover
Location: Central Valley Ca 1.5 hr to the Sierra Mts & 2 hrs to Pismo Beach

According to the new ATVRider magizine the Polaris 800efi is the best utility quad. They did a 24 hr test of 4x4 utility quads. The ones they tested were the outlander 500, rincon 680, brute force 650, polaris 800 x2 efi, kingquad 450, and the grizzly 700. At the end of the articale in the summary it said and I quote " for the truly utility-minded user, the Polaris is the hands-down winner".

Old 04-27-2007, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kas379 The engine braking is better on the Can-Am than a Polaris, and the Can Am provides even better engine braking going down hill in 4wd than a Polaris that doesn't actually work in 4wd at all unless the rear wheels are spinning whereas the engine braking works in 4wd on the Can Am as long as it's in 4wd.
The Deluxe Polaris models have 4 wheel engine braking that actually works now. The one I rode had it and it is dramatically improved. Really works well now. Not quite as good as the Outlander which is as good as anything I have ever ridden. The Outlander has some outstanding engine braking.

Polaris needs to get it on all of their machines though.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tregtom
According to the new ATVRider magizine the Polaris 800efi is the best utility quad. They did a 24 hr test of 4x4 utility quads. The ones they tested were the outlander 500, rincon 680, brute force 650, polaris 800 x2 efi, kingquad 450, and the grizzly 700. At the end of the articale in the summary it said and I quote " for the truly utility-minded user, the Polaris is the hands-down winner".

Thats funny, another magazine said the same about the Grizz, and another about the Cat, and another..............

Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

What I find funny is that Grizzly demo disk Yamaha packaged with this months DW issue. Then I think about the demo disk Polaris had comparing it to all the rest. I'll give Yamaha credit for the power steering which might come in helpful, and as for the on command 4wd, which has it's pros. What cracked me up is how they demostrated the Outlander being push up in to a tree stump and just held the gas down smoking the belt, but they didn't do the same demonstration with the Grizzly; can't imagine why, maybe because the results would've been no different on the Grizzly? They also rode the Outlander over really rough stuff, which would've been okay except the rider obviously had it in high range and would get on and off the throttle intermittently, with vertually no throttle control claiming it lurches suddenly. Then they claim about the lack of undercarriage on the outlander, I'll give them that, however they mention it would cost another $1000 for that kind of protection which only actually cost about $300. bucks actually. Point is, Yamaha had to really reach in order to make any claim against the Outlander and even those claims had to be greatly exaggerated. As for the Polaris, Yamaha found all kinds of pros to having the Grizzly over the Polaris.

Quick Reply: polaris 800 or yamaha grizz 700