Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

When to over-inflate tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default When to over-inflate tires

im refering to crawling over rough stuff and rocks w/ the low air pressure. no matter how much air you have if you hit a sharp rock you could easly cut these 3 ply tires. for me, if my wife has one one flat tire from a tire punture on my old pxt's, then their coming off and im buying 6 plys. the good thing about the stiffer 6 ply's is that you can ride w/ alot less pressure and of course it makes it ride smoother also. anyone remeber the old honda 3 wheelers w/ no back shocks only the ballon tires that ran about 2 or 3 psi. that was your cusion the lack of air . lol.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah I remember them, I used to have a blue 83 Honda 110 three wheeler. I remember trying to jump it when I was a kid. What a mistake. The back tires would hit the ground and then bounce back real hard and nearly throw you over the handlebars.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with the majority here. It is best to leave them at the manufacturer's recommended inflation. If you go too soft you risk derimming the tire (unless you have bead lock rims). If you go too hard and hit a rock with the sidewall of a tire it is more likely to cut the tire. Kind of like taking a knife and cutting a cloth that is stretched opposed to a piece of cloth that is hanging loosely. As said by others, you also have a larger footprint to get more traction with a properly inflated tire.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I should of included this in my opening
msg. but do you all run all four tires with
slime in them to prevent air loss, slow leaks
etc.? Another thing that came up on that
riding day, almost seems worthwhile, I can
see "Why" you would want to do that, any
disadvantagous? Except $8 a bottle?

Much obliged!

R'

Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider

I'd never be without slime in my tires.

A couple of weeks ago I saw some little stick-kinda thing poking up between the ***** when the quad was up on the lift. I tried to brush it off with my fingers, only to learn that it was very hard and stuck in the tire. Grabbing the pliers, I pulled out the remains of a roofing nail stuck in my tire, then of course the air started to hiss out. I gave it a quick spin, and as the hole came around to the bottom the hisisng stopped. It left a little green dot of slime where the hole was, and my leak was fixed.

BTW: Slime is $28/gallon at Wal-Mart, and $15 per quart at my Polaris dealer ($60 per gallon). The gallon does one ATV nicely.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

yep i bought a gallon jug mtself, as each tire has 32 ozs. added to them. i however dont run slime in them until i have to for one very good reason. have you ever changed a tire w/ slime in it? wow what a mess, make sure to have plenty of rags handy lol. ps. its still worth having it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that the slime in the tires could cause a vibration or shake at higher speeds........Or is that somebody just putting too MUCH in and the wheel is now out of balance??......Knock on wood I never had a flat yet but do carry air comp. 12 volt and plug kit........That's all so far ....Never used slime yet.....................So it must stay fairly wet to seal the puncture......Correct???.........Caper.........

Old 04-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

it stays in liquid forum all the time while in the tire so its always moving. i dont know it would throw it out of balance where its moving all the time until it fills an outside hole then hardners, but stays flexiable. good stuff. ive used it in 3 of my wheelers w/ no problems.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess at low speeds the slime would just keep rolling to the bottom..........
But at higher speeds(sport quad) the slime would stay in one spot do to Centrifugal force!!!!!
This would cause a huge vibration with that lump staying in one spot!!!!..Correct???....Caper...

Now that I think of it ...It was a sport rider that was doing the complaining!!!!