Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bad cluth or rod bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad cluth or rod bearing?

Hey, does a loose clutch sound like a rod bearing going out? At low idle my 99 500 sportsman sounds like a rod bearing is bad. Is there any way to check oil pressure? When I grab the clutch on the inside and turn it with the piston in mid travel everything seems to be tight and quite. If I do the same on the outside of the clutch I get a clang sound. It has a lot of miles on it so it would not suprise me if the bearing is bad. Can I take the clutch off and will the motor still run or is the clutch the flywheel? I guess I got what I paid for $700. Have no idea if the motor has had any work done on it. The speedometer wasn't working when I bought the machine. I got it to work and it shows 13430 miles on it. Looks to be a farm machine, all kinds of seeds and grass crammed in it. The guy took off the rear master cylinder and foot brake lever and I guess since the pads were worn down he brazed the brake line at the caliper. The right front caliper wore through the outer pad and then ate up the caliper to the point of no return. I think I'll get it running and trade it in for a new one and $99.00 a month, if I could only convince my wife....... Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the clutch off and start it to see if it is the clutch

Old 04-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

That was what I was thinking, but I didn't know if the clutch acktes like a flywheel. Thank you for the quick reply.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it might be the clutch worn out.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the clutch off today, the motor seemed to sound quite, no rod noise. How often should the valves be adjusted and at what gap? Going to half to get a manual! Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds as if clutch is wore out for sure.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ranscummins
I took the clutch off today, the motor seemed to sound quite, no rod noise. How often should the valves be adjusted and at what gap? Going to half to get a manual! Thanks for the advice.
Sounds like you need to get the clutch rebuilt.
The valves set at .006 on both.I set mine every 100hrs or check them every time I take the gas tank off.

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hard to answer without knowing more about the clutch operation it's self. But yes sounds like a clutch rebuild is in order, you need check the sheaves to make sure that they are not groved or cracked. If they are either a new clutch would be a better investment.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I looked over the sheeves, no cracks or grooves. A buddy of mine says he has a comet clutch that he bought for a sled and has no use for it, says the spring from the quad clutch will fit in the comet. He was going to look for it this weekend and get back with me on Monday. Says the price will be right. Thanks for all the help and info, what did we do before the internet??!!

Old 04-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know any thing about COMET but am sure that a SNOWMOBILE clutch will not work in an ATV. They are a different beast.

Quick Reply: Bad cluth or rod bearing?