Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hawkeye... Holes in Airbox (don't want to)?!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye... Holes in Airbox (don't want to)?!!

Ok so here's the deal...

I bought two 06' Polaris Hawkeye's a few months ago. I took them out with my wife for the weekend and put about 100 miles on them.

My wife's quad's performance absolutely sucks!

I called my dealer, he said there was a service bulletin put out by Polaris that involves drilling out holes in the airbox. I do NOT want to drill holes in my airbox. My question to all of you is simply this: "Is there a fix that I can do for my wife's Hawkeye that will fix the poor performance"?

Here are the facts I know...

1. With the engine completely warm, if you punch the throttle, it will stall her engine.
2. Once you get around 25 miles per hour, the engine sounds like it "sputters" and it will not go faster than that.
3. I took the cover off my wife's airbox and pulled the gasket out, then replaced the cover (thus more air can get in). This helped the performance of the quad A LOT! So I can see how drilling holes in the airbox would help out. I still do not want to do this.

What is the "PROPER" fix for this? Is it rejetting? Is it a needle valve? I am clueless.

I have called three different Polaris dealerships and they all want to drill holes in the airbox. I am still against it. I will buy a mechanics manual on the Hawkeye and fix it myself if I knew what would fix it.

Any help?

According to Polarisindustries.com the latest manual states:

Main Jet = 137.5
Pilot Jet = 42.5
Pilot Air Jet = 140

How do I know those specs are right? Do I need to buy replacement parts? If so where and how?

What else should I be concerned about? Am I missing anything? *confused*

-Pete

Old 05-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well drilling holes dont make sense for reliability reasons because then it will let water in the airbox. Have you tried to run it with the lid off. It sound like it is very rich. The other one runs fine? Sounds like you have to go down some jet sizes. Can you check what jets you have in the other one that runs good? I would not want to drill holes either. Rejetting is the fix not the jimmy rig that they are trying to get you to do.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

How do you check the jet size? Is it engraved on the jet or something?

Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

You don't have to drill the holes but if you ride in varying elevations it's a quick way to lean the mixture as you go up in elevation. Make sure that foam on the snorkle isn't blocking off the inlet. I rejetted and modded 3 06's that had your problem, they run fine now. Open up the airbox lid inlet where the snorkle attaches to it, there's a 1/4" lip on the lid. Remove that lip to increase airflow into the airbox, if you don't run in much water you could leave the snorkle off but after this you have to get into the carb...

Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

I'm totally fine going into the carb, I just need to know how to re-jet it. And where to get the parts =)

Time for google I guess =)

Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

The stock mainjet was 147.5 in all of mine, what is the build date of your machines. There is a sticker above the right front wheel with this info. I installed 142.5 mains, dropped the needle one position, removed the idle mixture plug and set the idle mix screw at 3.5 turns out from lightly seated and while your in there drill an additional vacuum port in the bottom of the slide so there is one on each side of the needle viewing it from the bottom. I'm at 690' elevation.....

Old 05-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

What Powerslider said, but I went to a 137.5 main. The numbers are stamped on the jets.

Trending Topics

Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Powerslider after you did that work did it pull like it should or does fall flat on mid range and top end, Mine runs real good when cold, but then after it gets hot it runs flat on top like it isnt revving out like it should I notice it yesterday not pulling thru the range, Ican feel it pulling low and mid range but then it quits pulling.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

You need to talk to Rick Ritter he has been working on the hawkeyes an has some fixes for the jetting problems. It is RCR. I thought I read something from him awhile ago about using a hotter spark plug. Do a search should beable to find it on here

Old 05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Drilling the lid is the dealers easy way out. He should rejet it. I believe the main jet could be change without removing the carb. I drilled my slide and pulled it out with the carb still on and the jet is right below it. I believe drilling or rejetting is an option left to the dealer and sounds like they are being lazy.

Quick Reply: Hawkeye... Holes in Airbox (don't want to)?!!