Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 Polaris Express bogs down when I throttle up

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Polaris Express bogs down when I throttle up

This thread is for anyone who is having problems with their Polaris Express when they throttle up and the engine bogs down. No power. The symtoms are that the engine will idle perfectly until you give it the gas. It's then that the enging has no power and bogs down and may even back fire. Mine back fired and blew the exhaust pipe right off of the cylinder head. Although it is held on with springs I simply snapped it back into place.

After a long time of trying to troubleshoot this thing I found out that the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) was wet. The ATV had been sitting outside for a couple weeks this spring and moisture had gotten into the ETC compartment. The ETC is a small 2" x 3" box found right above the throttle control. I opened it up with a phillips screw driver and found water in there. Enough water that there was a small pool in the bottom. So I went and got my wifes hair dryer and dried it out. Tried starting the ATV and Whalllla! I had full power again without the bogging down.

I am just writing this tid bit for anyone who has similiar problems with their ATV. Hope this helps someone. I know this forum has helped me in the past. Thanks.

Bob

Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 98 Polaris Express bogs down when I throttle up

so the condensation made the contacts messed up. good info to have.