Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman fuel consumption

Hello to you all.

I just bought a 2007 Sportsman 500 X2 Deluxe, and I would like to know how many liters (or gallons) is the reserve?
I've looked in the manual but can't find this info.
I suppose it's the same as the 800 version, so if any 800 owners know, please tell me.

Also, how many MPG does it do?
Or how many miles ca I expect once I hit the reserve mark?

I'm asking because I see the fuel display going down pretty darn fast...

The fuel tank will take 22.7 liters, but after just 70 kms, which is around 45 miles (only rode it once yet) the fuel indicator is already at the second mark from the bottom... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
It's nearly hitting the reserve mark!

Thanks in advance

Old 05-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

It would be hard to say about MPG not knowing the kind of ground you ride. I live in very hilly country and have an 800. Big motor and a heavy ATV. It does use some gas. Although I don't know if it is true I read some where that the gas tanks on ATV's are designed to hold enough gas to ride for eight hours. In my case that's true. I can go 8 hours on a tank riding on steep hills. I don't think they have a reserve.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hello Lfraga, I have an 06 X2 500. In mixed driving (25 mph down to 1 mph through rocks and mud) I get about 18-20 mpg. Or 28-30 kpg. Or .... Well you get the idea. I've gone over 60 miles and never needed to fuel up. It will probably go about 100 miles until it needs gas unless it is all slow/low gear/awd conditions. There is not really a reserve like there used to be with carb. models where you would switch the fuel line over to reserve. It holds 6 gallons altogether. My numbers as far as mpg goes are from actually filling it and setting the odometer to 0 and seeing how far I go and how many gallons it took to get me there and back. My fuel gauge doesn't seem to work the way yours is working. I would have it checked by the dealer. I did about 45 miles one day and the gauge showed about 1/2 a tank or so. Hope this helps.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

Very good information. First post I have read on mileage. I think my fuel gauge works like Lfraga's. It is not very accurate at all.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

i rode 30 miles on my 07 x2 and used 1.7 gallons on trails

one of the reviews i read before buying my atv said you could go around 125 miles on a tank.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you very much for all the replies.

I am indeed worried since from what I am seeing from the fuel gauge, I should be expecting 60 miles from a full fuel tank, which is outrageous for such a large fuel tank!!!
Unless, of course, the reserve is big.

BTW, what I call the reserve is the last mark in the fuel gauge, or, even better, when it starts blinking, warning the rider to fuel the atv.
I know there is no switch for reserve like the old carburated bikes/atvs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

125 miles out of a tank would be VERY nice.
However, I highly doubt it, unless of course my fuel gauge is way off.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Much appreciated.

Please keep 'em comming. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

No reserve, m y 800 gets just under 20mpg and my 500 gets just over 20 mpg.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

I would not trust the fuel gauge on my 800 SP. It just doesn't work.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

EFI's have no reserve, I am not sure which model you have. I saw someone said they get about 20 on a 800? Wow, I got about 10 on my 800. My MV was the same, front tank ran out at 42 miles! Of coarse, I ride a little different than those I see at my trails!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the only way your getting that kind of milage on a 800 is maybe driving about 25 mph and on hard pack trails. lol. i would figure on about 80 miles on 4 gallons. this would be a good starting point, as well i would always have extra gas if there isnt a gas station around.

Quick Reply: Sportsman fuel consumption