Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bleeding brakes on a Trail Blazer - help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding brakes on a Trail Blazer - help!

Hello,
I am having a lot of trouble with the brake system on my '98 Trail Blazer. The bleeder on the rear caliper was broken off, then I broke off the bleeder on one of the front calipers. I tried everything to get them out but had no luck. So, I ordered new calipers. I have installed them but can't get any brake pressure. My question is, how do I bleed the system? I have installed all calipers, tightened the brake hose connections, and tightened the bleeders. When I pump the brake handle, it doesn't seem to do anything (no air bubbles - nothing). I tried opening one of the bleeders and pumping the brake handle and that doesn't seem to do anything either. I don't have a manual but I didn't think that this should be so complicated. Could someone tell me how to get brake pressure?

Any help would be appriciated. Thanks,

Roger

Old 06-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are you sure your master cylinder is working correctly? maybe it has wore out plunger parts and cant build any kind of pressure. i would unhook the top line from the master. and try to squeeze handle to see if it operates correctly and go from therre. just a thought.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

The front brakes worked very well when I purchased the four wheeler about a month ago. So, I don't think the master cylinder is bad. I've just been having problems when I disconnected the front and rear calipers. I lost pressure and can't get it back.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you said you replaced the calipers right? when you put them on did you pump the fluid dry in the master cylinder to fill the pistons? if you new some one or take it to a garage w/ a power bleeder would be an easy way to fix the problem. if the handle feels spongy then its full of air for sure.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I replaced the calipers, a lot of fluid drained out (or was pumped out accidentally). Yes, the master cylinder was dry but I put more fluid in it. The brake handle feels very spongy. I don't know anyone with a power bleeder. Is there any way to fix it myself?

Thanks,

Roger

Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you need to bleed the master cylinder to get the air out and the prime back up if the rubbers are still good. i take the hose off and do the master cylinder first then go from their as it wont be pushing any more air down the line. remeber everytime you let go off the handle after pulling it you sucked in more air when the resivior was dry. you'll have to refill it many times to bleed it al the way thru if it was fairly empty.