Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Best for Deep Mudding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best for Deep Mudding?

I have a 2007 Wolverine 4X4 right now and im in the market for another atv. The Wolverine is great, but in my opinion its not made for deep mudding. It likes to stall on me when I take it through the mud. From what I hear and have been reading, the Polaris is a great ATV for in the mud. I am asking opinions on what they best Polaris would be for playing in the mud. I plan on putting Snorkels on the bike and just playing in deep mud [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

p.s...If there is another make out there that you may think is better, please let me know...I dont want to make this a battle of the brands, but I would just like to know your opinions before I buy another one at the end of this month. Any help or input would be great.

thanks

Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

i have a xplorer 400 and a sportsman 500... both are good in the mud.... no stalling at all.... just keep everything sealed up and you'll float down the river.. lol

Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: truckermatt

i have a xplorer 400 and a sportsman 500... both are good in the mud.... no stalling at all.... just keep everything sealed up and you'll float down the river.. lol</end quote></div>

Thanks....It's good to hear that about the 500....Im actually lookin into the 800...I was reading the reviews for both...Both are good just the 800 had a lil more pick up but then again, its alot bigger in cc's so it should...thanks man

Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

grizzly 700 nuff said...............................

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>yamaha 4 life</end quote></div>

Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 PM

i have seen the 500s do just as good as the 800s in the mud and some times better just mi 2 cents

Old 06-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

cant and wont beat a popo.. i have a lil 400 and the 650 a/c and the 500 foreman i ride with cant touch me in the mud... bring it on!!!!!!!!!! locked and ready to rock!!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Pretty hard to beat an Arctic Cat in the mud. Superior ground clearance and superior wheel travel. A true locking front end. Next question?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

cant and wont beat a popo.. i have a lil 400 and the 650 a/c and the 500 foreman i ride with cant touch me in the mud... bring it on!!!!!!!!!! locked and ready to rock!!</end quote></div>

Pop some good tires, some High lifters on the 650 AC and your 400 Popo is no match... Come on!!! Your 400 probably doesn't even have enough power to turn the 27" ITP's in really thick mud - water maybe. I'd put money on the 650 AC anyday...

Old 06-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I can vouch for both the EFI and HO 500cc Polaris quads. They have pulled us through all but 1 mud pit. (My son was driving the ATP). The mud was right in between solid and soupy. Wet enough that you could sink in it but firm enough to grab hold of everything and about a foot and a half deep. I yanked him out with my winch. Other than that, they have been flawless in the mudholes we've been in. Most of the mud in New England is covered with water so I can tell you that we've been through mud/waterhole combinations up to the headlights and gotten through all but the one mentioned. That said, any quad with good ground clearance, good tires, and some way of completely locking the front end will do great in the mud. Fuel injection is nice also in that it is less likely to stall. Honda, at best has 3 1/2 wheel drive and I have heard/read some comments about Can-Ams Visco-Lock. Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Polaris all have great systems. But, Polaris rides like a Cadilac and has great storage under the front rack of their Sportsmans.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: trailblazermudrunner

i have seen the 500s do just as good as the 800s in the mud and some times better just mi 2 cents</end quote></div>

You are absolutely right, a lot of times too much power works against you, especially if you don't have a feel for it or know how to feather the throttle for optimum traction. In most cases most riders when they start to spin and slow down just want to give it more gas when in fact they need to let off a tad and allow the system to hook-up...

Good observation on your part (trailblazermudrunner - whew that is a mouth full). This is why I have always said - too much power is worse than not enough. Human nature is, when met with resistance wants to just give it more. This is why you see smaller bore machines outdoing big-bore machines frequently. It is more the operator making driving errors than machine capabilities.

Quick Reply: Best for Deep Mudding?