Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 Sportsman 500 HO electric start problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Sportsman 500 HO electric start problems

If it starts with a pull on the rope and the ign. switch in the on position, the ignition circuit is working. When you turn the ign. switch (key) to start, it does two things.

1. Power to the solenoid to engage the starter and it obviously works.

2. Completes the circuit to the ignition and this obviously doesn't work.

Problem should be between the key and where ever it connects to in the ignition circut.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:02 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I like the idea of a fusible link, but they are usually in the power wire and I don't know if the atv's have them

Old 09-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

well mine is the one with the key in the pod and then to start it you have to push up on the left handle bar switch on the "run" "off" slide switch. at the switch i jumped the starter wire and it still just turns it over. i am going to try and jump a wire to the starter solinoid directly on the starter tonight and try that. wish me luck cause pull starting this thing all the time is getting really old lol

Old 09-24-2007, 05:30 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Does the key have 3 positions? Off, on, & start?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Lets eliminate any confusion here. I think Stendori and I were referring to the key start as the switch, not the run/stop switch

With the battery disconnected, use an ohm meter to determine if there is continuity in the wire that goes from the key "start" position to the ignition system. While the ohm meter is connected turn the key to the start and then off again and watch the meter. It should move when the switch goes from position to position. If no movement, the key/lock switch is likely the problem.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this.........A buddy of mine had a 12 starter from a tractor................He went to put the new starter in and ...............Same as you would turn the starter and solenoid click to engage......................Guess what the starter wheel with the teeth was rotating backwards!!!!..........I think he just had the leads mixed up as they were not marked very good on his old tractor he was fixing!!...........

If it's turning the proper way...........Also make sure the wheel with the engagement teeth is spinning out to make contact with the fly-wheel...........This may be why it is not turning the motor over!!!!!!...............................Caper.... ..............

Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka

Try this.........A buddy of mine had a 12 starter from a tractor................He went to put the new starter in and ...............Same as you would turn the starter and solenoid click to engage......................Guess what the starter wheel with the teeth was rotating backwards!!!!..........I think he just had the leads mixed up as they were not marked very good on his old tractor he was fixing!!...........

If it's turning the proper way...........Also make sure the wheel with the engagement teeth is spinning out to make contact with the fly-wheel...........This may be why it is not turning the motor over!!!!!!...............................Caper.... ..............</end quote></div>

My Dad is a heavy truck and equipment mechanic and he had a customer call him one time with a detroit diesel in his truck. He had almost stalled the truck and then went to take off again. Put the truck in 1st and it went backwords LOL Put it in reverse and it went forwards. The detroit is a 2 stroke engine and they will run backwards. Not recomended at all, but defintly possible. Kinda off topic, but the starter running backwards made me think of this LOL

Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry for the delay, ok i jumped the starter (jumper cables on the starter motor) to bypass the start switch complete and still nothing, it just turns the motor over and no start. i go and give a good pull on the pull rope and she fires right up and runs great. the only thing i can think of is that it is not turning the motor over quick enough. i say that cause if i dont get a good hard pull in then it wont start i have to pull really hard and fast to get it to start. i only noticed this cause it has been really hot and i tried it after digging out our fire pit so i didnt get a good pull at first lol sso what do all of you guys think now?????? thank you very much for the quick replys!!!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to check for spark when it is turning over with the starter.................If there is spark.......then you my be right in not turning over fast enough!!!............Unless it is turning the WRONG way with the starter........and the right way with the rope!!!!.................Caper................

Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

The engine is not turning over backwards unless you installed the wrong starter. Even if the starter turned backwards the bendix would not let it engage with the flywheel. I would try unhooking the kill wire from the CDI box (it is the Black wire) and try to start the bike with the key.

Quick Reply: 02 Sportsman 500 HO electric start problems