Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Honda Rancher -vs- Sportsman 450

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rancher -vs- Sportsman 450

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CamoKodiak450

I forget about both and get a Grizzly 450 which has a true locking 4 wheel drive, IRS.</end quote></div>

The Polaris has TRUE 4 wheel drive and IRS. Do your homework and then repost thanks

Old 07-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

the irs is a big diff than solid axle on the honda polaris has 9.5 in travel ft and rear compared to honda at 7.2 maybe 8 in of travel the extra travel make a big diff in rocky and off camber and in rutted mud it won't bottom out like swingarm solid axle will. i know i own both

Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 04 sportsman 400 and my buddy has a 03 450 forman and as far as speed mine is quicker and faster in the long run also.. as far a 4-wheelin in the mud he cant follow me very far..i have alot more ground clearence, in the rivers the ground clearence helps he has hydrolocked his a few times TRYING to follow me..hills he is better at, hes alot lighter... I DO HAVE TO SAY HIS HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE SHOP OR EVEN HAD ANY MAINTACE DONE TO IT OTHER THAN A OIL CHANGE NOT BAD FOR 4500 MILES. my sportsman has been th the shop many time , mostly self inflicted.. I WOULD MAKE THE PURCHASE ALL OVER AGAIN , KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW---- GO POPO OR GO HoME!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Hey I would have to agree with
my pal Caper. In my case, my wife
liked mine so much she wanted one.
(SP450)

She is not the second passenger
type of Gal. She is competitive
and wants her fun too.

As we all like to make improvements
to our quads, I hadn't done anything
yet with my ride comfort. ITS GREAT!
(Fyi, I am 360 lbs) and yes with my
EXTRA weight I have taken my
SP 450 to just over 50mph (no mods
yet. All stock!)

Can't speak for the Honda, but really like our
SP450's (2006 year)

R'

Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SHISHHHHH.......RticKwad....Don't tell him your looking at a Polaris 800 next!!!!.......LOL...LOL..Caper.....

Old 07-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea I forgot to mention, if you want
times 2 - double the comfort and double
the speed, buy the SP800, LOL!

R'

Old 07-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would think these 2 bikes are not even close in theie comparission as they are so differnt. i however do like the post on the honda problems they had(thanks for the honesty)which proves that all quads have their problems no matter what the brand. honda is a good bike no question but in the awd,and irs department its no contest. but i agree w/. a test a test drive would make your mind up for you. just my .02

Old 07-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Haven't driven a Honda other than a Honda ATC 250 and a Recon 250. The Recon has been abused badly by my buddy's oldest and middle sons. It keeps coming back as if it likes it. Still runs well, though it looks like it has seen better days. My own observations are the Polaris has more storage with the front rack/box they made. I have a ton of stuff in mine. The engines are probably about equal as far as speed and torque go. If I remember right the Rancher doesn't have a low range, and the Sportsman has a tractor like low range. IRS has already been mentioned. The Honda is probably more nimble on smooth roads and easier to throw around corners. Polaris is definetly more comfortable. I have a bad disc in my back that limits me to an hour or two of strenuous work. I don't feel bad when I get off the Sportsman. I can't say the same for quads with stiffer seats like the Honda and the Lakota I owned. Hope this helps in your decision. Oh yeah, I have 600 trouble free miles (except for some trail rash on the plastic).

Old 07-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

I've had both Honda and Sportsman, my Honda was bullet proof ,never had any mechanical problems ,That said the Polaris is far superior in ride, 4 wheel drive and power but does need a little more attention as far as maintenance. I would definately go Polaris again...

Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

SPORTSMAN 450!!!!!! I never have rode a Honda but I love my sportsman!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Can I say the Honda is ugly?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And TRUST ME - I love Honda products - I am a honda NUT. I have had 3 civics and 2 preludes. I have a Honda lawn tractor and a Honda Power Sprayer. Anything with a Honda engine I want it and it will last forever but sitting these 2 machines side by side, theres no comparison to me. Just a different class in my opinion for reasons mentioned above.

Once my truck is paid off (its a dodge I have now and I would have bought a honda truck if they knew how to make one) - I will be begging for a Honda S2000 when my payments are done in 2 years sweeeeeeeet

Quick Reply: Honda Rancher -vs- Sportsman 450