Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

easy way of storing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy way of storing?

What is an easy and very basic way of storing an ATV? I am finally getting back my 400 this week. (same one stendori tried helping with like 4 months ago with the bad carb) anyway, so I dotn have to bring it in again for a new float in the carb, but able to store it for 3-4 months.

I have heard that just turning the gas **** to off and running it until it quits if good enough. What do you guys think?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am the type of guy that likes to have gas in the carb to keep it from drying out and gaskets ,floats, and bowl wet.....

However if only for 3-4 months I would just put some gas sta-bil treatment in and run the engine for about 5-7 min.
With my snowmobiles I do this (longer storage).........Then take each spark-plug out and spray engine fog of storage spray in there then just pull the manual rope starter very slow a few times to coat the CYL. wall....Then reinstall the plugs...........

When ready to start it will smoke more than normal for a bit until the storage spray burns off!!!!......Caper.....

Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i stored my 2 wheelers thru the winter and didnt do anything except have a full gas tank and a full charged battery. you could however do as caper mentioned and put stab. in the fuel and run it a bit. gas wont go bad as far as congele in 4 months but will loose some of its strenth.. sorry cant remeber what the carb problem was you had but hope its fixed now.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

so fill with gas & put stab in it. how about the fuel ****?

this one

http://forums.atvconnection.co...tid=11&threadid=519686

Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

My bikes never got stored at all. I ride the bikes all year round and when I had sleds I usually rode them all year too LOL I've never used fuel stab. ever, and never had a problem. Just park it with a full tank and maybe pull the battery out if it's for a long time.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Storing? whats storing?

Name:  Firstridein6weeksJan2001.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  30.9 KB

Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

I like using Seafoam over Stabil for storage. If you shut the gas off, make sure you drain the bowl on the carb. Take a look, there should be a screw on the bottom of your carb. If you don't drain that, the gas will evaporate but the oil won't. I would also recommend using engine fog. It will smoke when you first start it up again.

Better yet, try to run the machine every other week in storage. With sleds my friends and I have tried every combination possible to see what gets us the best results. By far just running the machine in the garage did the best. Plus 2-stroke smoke smells soooo nice!! Get a battery tender and leave the machine plugged in.
Just a few thoughts

Old 07-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 97xplorer

so fill with gas & put stab in it. how about the fuel ****?

this one

http://forums.atvconnection.co...tid=11&threadid=519686</end quote></div>

ok so did it straighten out for ya? the only thing that turning off the gas **** does if your float stickes open then it wouldnt fill it w/ gas. i never turn off my ***** unless i trailor it somewhere and even then i forget sometimes. im not a big fan of fog unless it is going to be stored for a long period of time. it bacisly gets oil on the bearings in the crankshaft so it doesnt have any issues. we live in a pretty dry climate so moisture isnt a big deal. at the least run some stablizer in the tank(full) and run it for a few minutes to get in the carb and it should be all set to sit for 4 months as you said.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

so just run it every other week, and the oil wont gum up?

Old 07-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I store two of my atv's by standing them on the rear wheels. (Resting on the grab bar). This has bought me tremendous space savings! Everyone who looks at them asks if this is bad for them. I haven't read or heard anything yet... Does anyone here know if this type of storage causes problems?

Quick Reply: easy way of storing?