Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

outlaw 525/ds650

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
see how you are!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlaw 525/ds650

I got my IRS 525 after I modded my Preddy for hill-shooting and drag racing. I've taken it to eastern Washington once and have ridden the trails a few times. I think the IRS is cool and handles well in the corners, even power-slides, but I'm not impressed with the Ryde FX shocks. The shocks only have compression dampening and no rebound dampening, which causes the atv to buck through the whoops. Both my other Preddys glide through the whoops when set-up right. I've talked with Moto-Pro and they said they'd be interested in re-working my shocks, but they have a few projects they are working and won't be able to get to me for about a month. A new set of Fox shocks will cost a fortune, so I'll wait...

I'm impressed with the KTM motor and it hauls. I put the JD o-ring mod on the accelerator pump, but haven't ridden it yet. I have a hard time calling it a mod when it's just being used as a rubberband, but it's not OEM, so it's a mod.

The IRS is pretty cool, as advertised it doesn't get hung-up on the rocks, debris or ruts. I went on a poker-run a few months ago, quads that were in front of me were getting stuck on some ruts where I just rode right through them. I use to ride dirtbikes and in just normal riding (not racing) quads were just too slow, just getting in the way. On this poker run, I passed many bikes because they were just going too slow. I can only attribute the faster pace through the course to the handling of the ATV. Albeit, it wasn't a race, and would have been smoked by serious riders, but just normal cruising through the trails was a significant difference that equated to speed without more effort.

I'll be going to the dunes next month and riding the trails and open dunes, so I'll have a better opinion of the IRS for all around riding, but for now I give it a thumbs up.

I haven't decided if I like the IRS Outlaw 525 more than my preddys straight axle. But having ridden a couple DS 650's and a DS 770, I prefer the Oulaw IRS 525 over the DS. Mainly because the DS is a large bike and I like the nimble bikes better for all around riding. However, if I was to modify a bike for the HP and drag the bike, I'd start over with the DS.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default outlaw 525/ds650

well how does your pred. comapare to the 525 and ds stock?

Old 08-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
see how you are!
Default outlaw 525/ds650

The NR574 will smoke both...

The 500 has a higher rev on the CDI, LTE's, intake and ported carb, which will beat the DS 650 in a drag.

The stock 500 will swap wins with the DS and it's really rider dependant... weight, skill and set-up become the factors.

To pick the DS vs. the 500 for all around riding, I'd still go with the pred because it's a smaller bike... Just preference on my part.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default outlaw 525/ds650

well what about for all around dune riding?
would u still say the pred. i am also about 160 lbs 6'2

Old 08-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
see how you are!
Default outlaw 525/ds650

I didn't answer your question comparing the stock 525 to the stock pred.

The 525 stock vs. the 500 stock... can't really answer that question yet, but I would say the 525 has the acceleration right off the bat. But it's been a while since I've ridden a stock preddy, so I can't compare the two for acceleration or top speed. However, after I get back from the dunes I'll have a good answer on that, there are a couple stock preddys going on the same trip.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
see how you are!
Default outlaw 525/ds650

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sandman91

well what about for all around dune riding?

would u still say the pred. i am also about 160 lbs 6'2</end quote></div>

Definately the pred will do very well and I've been pleased with mine in the dunes. The clear advantage to the straight axle bike is being able to do gear changes to suit your tire choices. I haven't looked yet, but I'm not thinking I have a lot of choice on the sprocket for the Outlaw IRS 525.

When I swap tires depending on the sand conditions or terrain, I swap gearing. For the dunes I ride with a specific gear ratio for hill climbing or drag racing.

Since drags are 300' long, you don't reach 5th gear, so I gear for top speed in 4th so it's fairly tall. Start in 2nd shift twice and done.

The other advantage to the preddy 500 is they will be dropping in price. Especially if it's last years model, you'll get a great deal on a new bike if you are patient.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default outlaw 525/ds650

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: crazy1291

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Evasiveone

Those that say they do not like IRS, saying they are tippy and do not corner simply have not ridden a 525.</end quote></div>

The irs outlaws are fairly stable probably, but i think your predator will still be able to take turns with less body english.....

Its always that last 0.1second that agressive people want to slice off their laptimes.... a straightaxle will let you take turns just a little bit faster than the IRS so you will slice off that 0.1second without a problem</end quote></div>

Actually I have found it to be the opositte of that. I can come out of the corners way hotter and harder on the throttle because the IRS hooks up instantly. So while my friends are still sliding praying for traction Im hammer down getting all the power to the ground right away. Ive raced everyone around a track and a figure 8 and the IRS is just as good if not better once you get used to how quickly it snaggs dirt. Ive never lost a drag race. It climbs walls in sand pits great, no problems there. IRS isnt for everyone, but if its not for you then get the 525s with the straight axle. That engine is the way to go man. How can you go wrong with a KTM?

Old 08-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default outlaw 525/ds650

As far as sprockets for the 525, the front sprockets for the 525 bikes will fit on the quad. And Gablett is right. I am much quicker on corners on the Outlaw 525 than I am my Predator 500. It is much easier to control the slide on the 525 where exactly like Gablett said when the SRA quad is still sliding the Outlaw will just hook up. As far as jumping, land tilted just once and you will see the huge advantage the IRS has.

I had my Ryde FX shocks revalved and resprung for my weight. My Ryde's are now triple rates. Wilson Racing, who also does many of the Polaris racer's shocks, did my rebuild for me. The rebuild has really made the advantages of the IRS really shine, especially in the whoops. There is a thread on Predatorowners with the details.

I love my 525 in the dunes. When the dunes are rutted up from heavy traffic the IRS rides so much better than the SRA quads. The power of the KTM 510 cc engine in the Outlaw is awesome. My Outlaw accelerates much quicker than my Predator. By radar gun stock vs stock the Outlaw has about a 3 mph advantage on top speed also.

Also go back up and read Calds650 comment. His DS650 is BUILT. That is a pretty impressive statement about the 525.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default outlaw 525/ds650

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gablett

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: crazy1291

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Evasiveone

This what I found with mine also! It hooks up. I sliced my side wall on the rear, put a set of Holeshot HD's on. Now it gets crazy traction. The whole quad feels balanced out better also.

Those that say they do not like IRS, saying they are tippy and do not corner simply have not ridden a 525.</end quote></div>

The irs outlaws are fairly stable probably, but i think your predator will still be able to take turns with less body english.....

Its always that last 0.1second that agressive people want to slice off their laptimes.... a straightaxle will let you take turns just a little bit faster than the IRS so you will slice off that 0.1second without a problem</end quote></div>

Actually I have found it to be the opositte of that. I can come out of the corners way hotter and harder on the throttle because the IRS hooks up instantly. So while my friends are still sliding praying for traction Im hammer down getting all the power to the ground right away. Ive raced everyone around a track and a figure 8 and the IRS is just as good if not better once you get used to how quickly it snaggs dirt. Ive never lost a drag race. It climbs walls in sand pits great, no problems there. IRS isnt for everyone, but if its not for you then get the 525s with the straight axle. That engine is the way to go man. How can you go wrong with a KTM?</end quote></div>

Old 08-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default outlaw 525/ds650

another thing to think about to is if you ever want to upgrade the susepstion on it the stright axle will be a lot cheaper i whould think.

Quick Reply: outlaw 525/ds650