Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

outlaw 525/ds650

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlaw 525/ds650

i guess the irs is better in loose stuff because it wont slide and spin out of control, but if you're riding on clay, the irs would probably bicycle but the straightaxle will stay flat just because it can roll

What is it like landing on an angle on an irs quad? really smooth still, because the entire side would absorb the bumps? a straightaxle will just slam down on the ground when you land on an angle

Does irs magnify any imperfections in the lip of the jump? (only on dirt though, usually there isnt any imperfection in an aluminum fmx jump) Does the irs launch you on and even greater angle if the lip is on an angle? (like this sign: ~ with one wheel on the high part and one on the low part) or does the irs absorb imperfections and make the takeoff seem perfect even when it isnt?

The biggest thing that sucks about irs is when you get too much power (80hp or something) you cant get a longer swingarm, the only way to keep the front end down is by regearing or by severely lowering the front (shock removal?) to change the centre of gravity

Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default outlaw 525/ds650

Shocks are expensive no matter how you look at it. I look at it as they will last longer though, because instead of all the hit going to 1 shock, it goes to 2. I guess its all in how you look at it though.

And the IRS shines no matter the ground type. Ill beat just about anyone out of the corners on mud snow clay concrete whatever. The name of the game once again is getting traction to the ground quicker. The IRS allows the outlaw to grab ground twice as fast which means my horsepower=speed much sooner.

Ive landed on angles with my IRS and been just fine. If I had done the samething (which I have on my 300ex) on on SRA I would be thrown off or have sore neck. It eats up any imperfections. And if there is any unlevel spots on a jump it will soak them up. Obviously if you are going really slow it will lean the bike a little more, but with any momentum and speed, the bump is soaked right up like its not even there.

I am not saying IRS is perfect. Like what you said about not being able to extend the rear end. But for what I do(trail, jumps, sand) its perfect. I come hom and Im not all sore like I used to be. Its got TONS of bottom end, and I can keep up with or beat everything out there. What more do you want? And in regards to your 80 hp thing, if you want 80 hp out of a quad you have alot more worries than just the rear end. Its a good quad, not without its maintanence and problems just like any other machine. They arent made like cars to go 3000 miles before you need to pop the hood. But its the best quad Ive ever owned hands down, and Ill keep it till it dies and probably get another one. I said it before and I will say it again : "Those that say they do not like IRS, saying they are tippy and do not corner simply have not ridden a 525."

Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default outlaw 525/ds650

this is my 525 set up for the dunes if I was looking between the two now I would buy the Outlaw 525 if I did not have so much money into my DS I would sell it and buy a new 525

Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default outlaw 525/ds650

I currently ride a DS650 and am considering buying a 2008 Outlaw 525 IRS early next year. One thing I have noticed is that there doesn't seem to be alot of aftermarket support. I have found almost all the parts I would be looking for except for nerf bars. Anyone know what is available? I have seen one machine with Pro Armor nerfs on it, but Pro Armor doesn't seem to make any products for the Outlaw. Will the parts from the Preddy fit on the Outlaw?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default outlaw 525/ds650

I have Rath on my 525 and love best nerf bars out. AC and IMS make nerf bars for the Outlaw.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default outlaw 525/ds650

gablett, i think you missed my point about having too much power.... what i meant to say is (or what i should have said more clearly) What do you guys with IRS do when you have so much power that you can keep the front end down? regear? but then you will still have the same acceleration as before you modded and regeared your quad, the only thing you will be able to do better than before is outrun cops or something.

Is it possible to get something like 2+1 rear a-arms for the outlaw 525IRS? because that is the only thing that would be the equivalent of getting a longer swinger (by 2+1 i dont mean adjustable but 2" wider and 1" more backward to extend the wheelbase. I know you can get a-arms like that for the yamaha blaster)

Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default outlaw 525/ds650

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: crazy1291

gablett, i think you missed my point about having too much power.... what i meant to say is (or what i should have said more clearly) What do you guys with IRS do when you have so much power that you can keep the front end down? regear? but then you will still have the same acceleration as before you modded and regeared your quad, the only thing you will be able to do better than before is outrun cops or something.

Is it possible to get something like 2+1 rear a-arms for the outlaw 525IRS? because that is the only thing that would be the equivalent of getting a longer swinger (by 2+1 i dont mean adjustable but 2" wider and 1" more backward to extend the wheelbase. I know you can get a-arms like that for the yamaha blaster)</end quote></div>

edit: isnt the 525 a bugger to get stuck in the dunes since it can dig itself almost a foot deep before it gets stuck (unlike ltr450s with 4"clearance which would only dig 4" deep

Old 08-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default outlaw 525/ds650

The 525 has reverse and would easier to get unstuck than your DS250.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default outlaw 525/ds650

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CALDS650

The 525 has reverse and would easier to get unstuck than your DS250.</end quote></div>

that makes no sense, how could it be easier to get unstuck if it is buried a foot deep? i also have reverse

Old 08-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default outlaw 525/ds650

Your DS250 weights more than my Outlaw 525. And too get an Outlaw or any quad buried up too the frame will take some work too due. I have riding atv's in the dunes since the 185s day. The only time I get stuck (knock on wood) is when I get high sided on a crest or ridge line. I would rather move 400 lbs quad than 500+ lbs quad (I have done both) your DS250 weights about 450 lbs with gas.

Quick Reply: outlaw 525/ds650