Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bigger Camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger Camshaft?

Are there any companies that make bigger camshafts for a polaris 4 stroke? would it make a worthwhile difference or would i be just throwing money that i dont have away? hahaha

Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bigger Camshaft?

I would go with a pipe and clutching,Airbox mod before messing with a cam.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Bigger Camshaft?

From what I have heard from friends is that once you start digging into the engine, the $'s start to fly as does your reliability. I would try the bolt ons first and see if that doesn't get you what you are looking for. Only thing I have ever updated the cams on is my Harley and that was done by the dealer. Haven't had any problems but it certainly wasn't cheap. That coupled with the fact that I don't keep my atv's to long doesn't seem to make expensive engine work worth the price. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bigger Camshaft?

Thanx a bunch guys, im kinda new to the atv world hahaha. I can rebuild a small block chevy in my sleep but these little engines are new to me.

Thanx again
Brett

Old 08-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Default Bigger Camshaft?

Most of your usable power is hidden in your clucthing

Old 08-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bigger Camshaft?

what would a clutch kit do to the concentric drive? i guess im confused? does it make the power engage faster or how does it work? i understand the whole concentric drive but dont understand what a diff clutch will do for the poers aspect of it. Please explain this to me.
Thank You for your patience with this.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Quad Patrol
Default Bigger Camshaft?

Your clutch has nothing to do with Concentric or non concentric drive that is how your chain is in conjunction with sprockets and swingarm.
Polaris sets the clutches up from the factory to make a beginning rider fell comfortable.But by doing this they under clutch most of the power.You can gain more take off speed by changing the engagement with a primary spring that engages at a higher rpm.You can get more rpms by using a primary spring with a higher shift rate.The whole clutching thing is very indepth and confusing until you get a grasp on how everything works.
My recomendation for your 500 would be a Dalton black/white primary spring and reset your secondary spring to 2-2(it comes stock 1-1) You can do this mod for around $30 and get good results.If that isnt enough of a power gain(try that first)Go with an Aaen green primary spring aaen blue secondary spring set at 2-2 and a set of 10-56 shift weights.you are talking close to $100 for this set up.But I have run this on a 05 500 Scrambler and it gets the rpms up to the 6500 range where the Dalton will keep them in the 6200-6300 range.
Hope this helps and doesnt confuse you

You can get the Dalton spring from Rick Ritter

Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bigger Camshaft?

is this something i can install myself or do i have to take it somewhere? i am pretty mechanicaly inclined and have a good set of tools.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bigger Camshaft?

Keep in mind that with most clutching applications you sacrifice some top end for the hole shot. Can counter some of that with a good pipe.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Bigger Camshaft?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mud Hog

Keep in mind that with most clutching applications you sacrifice some top end for the hole shot. Can counter some of that with a good pipe.</end quote></div>

He goes with my recomendations he will gain in both.There is no reason to give up topend for quicker take off.That is where changing the secondary and weights comes in.the spring change alone wont hurt either because it may have a higher engament but it also has a higher shiftout getting more rpm on top too.

Quick Reply: Bigger Camshaft?