Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How do you swap winch cable for blue syn?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you swap winch cable for blue syn?

I bought a blue synthetic rope and a different fairlead but when I unspool my current winch drum I get to the end and it looks like its just jammed in there [polaris 2.5 winch 2007] on my rope I have the end that the hook attaches to then the other end looks like something you would connect to a battery if that makes sense? do I just cut the steel and jam that other one out or? not sure and I have read all through here but cant find something spacific - just dont wanna hose it up before I take it out in 4 days.

I dont think I can replicate what it has now but....

Old 08-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

there should be a little screw that the "battery" terminal goes to. I would not just jam it in there - I wouldnt think it should be that way

Old 08-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

a little screw on the drum itself? it looks like it is just looped in there then snugged tight - I will take another look at it, maybe I am missing something.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:08 AM
Trailblazer

When you take out the wire of the drum there are a little metal "button" at the end. Cut of the eye of the rope but save the shrink tube. Put the end of the rope through the hole in the drum and the shrink tube back in the hole again. Before you tight up the rope, put the metal button in the hole to lock the rope to the drum. Just did that with mine 07 800. Works perfectly.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Pro Rider

The metal "button" looks like a little puck.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

Also remember that you want to leave at least 4 lines of cable on the drum! I put a big black mark on the wire with a big black marker to mark the don't pull past mark.

Steve

Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

Mudjive, how has that Amsteel winch rope worked out? Did you get it and the fairlead from Rockstomper in Colorado? If not, where? How much did you pay? The rope is $46 and the fairlead $35 at Rockstomper, just looking for the best deal.

So I understand correctly, did you cut off the part of the terminal that a bolt would go through and leave the part on that's crimped to the rope? Is that the deal?

'Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

That piece does need to come off.

Just take some time and "un"crimp it. If you cut the rope then you have to keep it from unraveling and that can be a pain.

If you do cut it, wrap a piece of tape tightly around the rope FIRST before you cut it and then try to heat the ends so they melt together.

Even better would be to heat up a piece of metal with a torch until it glows and then use that to "cut" the rope.

After you get that done, thread it through where the wire was attached and leave about a 4" tail. Loosely wrap a few winds on the spool and then pull the rope tight on top of the tail. This will keep the rope from slipping out. Just remember not to pull your rope the whole way out when you use it.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Range Rover

Brainerdian, where did you get your rope and fairlead and how much did you get it for?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

I got mine here if I remember correctly...

http://bc-offroad.com/shop/ind...=10_25&products_id=22

But check out Masterpull too.......I think there rope has a slightly higher rated breaking strenght...

John

Quick Reply: How do you swap winch cable for blue syn?