Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 sportsman drive belt ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 sportsman drive belt ?

I have a feeling my drive belt is getting bad. Im not sure if its ever been changed or not. When I first get on it and take off, it drives sluggish for a little ways, and then picks up and runs like it should. As if it was catching another gear or something. I have never worked on one of these belts before, and a buddy of mine says the polaris belts are tuff to mess with. I dont know anyone that knows how to do it, and what I would like to know is if there are any instructions out there on the net that maybe some of you guys know of.

I would like to know kind of what im dealing with before I go tearing into it. Like special tools, or tricks to make it easier.

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a sportsman belt is really easy to replace. once you take off the foot well and the bolts to the clutch cover and unbolt the vent pipe and pull the cover off. you'll be looking at the clutches. i would clean them out w/ compressed air in you can and maybe even see if there are worn out parts. any questions fell free to ask.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was searching on the net last night and found a service manual by Clymer. Have you ever used one, and is it helpful?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

there no where as good as a polaris one, not as detailed i dont beleave but way better then nothing for sure. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] you really dont need one to replace the belt, but always nice to have you good info.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Took it down to the clutches like you said, and blew everything out. Lots of dust came out of the front one ( I assume "primary clutch"?). Everything looks nice and clean in there, and apparently doesnt leak. The belt looks loose enough that I think I could slip it over the rear "clutch" by turning it, and slipping it off alittle at a time. Should it be that loose, and is that the way to take it off?

The belt looks fine though, and doesnt have any cracks in it. Im not so sure that this belt might be glazed over, and maybe that is why it slips at first. anyway,, thanks for the help.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, I noticed that I can compress the clutch by hand maybe 3/8". Is this normal?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

yes(if your talking about the prim.)you can push the sheeves together as the spring has not much for preload. no, you really shouldnt be able to roll off the belt that easy. its an ebs clucth it should be fairly tight and it should be setting a little above the secondary(back) when its at rest.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Then do you have to pull one of the clutches off to get the belt on/off? Or do you just "roll" it off?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

no, you can roll it off. what i do it usually push down on the middle of the belt between the clutches as i rolled it a little to open up the secondary and once it drops down a little you should be able to slide it right out. is this a ebs clutch?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im new to this. I'm not sure what an EBS clutch looks like.

Quick Reply: 98 sportsman drive belt ?