Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

carb to EFI

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb to EFI

Has anyone changed a carb machine to fuel injection? How hard was it? If not, what does everyone think? new harness, fuel rails, throttle body -- map sensor in airbox and fuel pump in tank-- but is there anything else?

I'm sure it is possible to sell my machine and buy an EFI-- but i'm not interested in parting with this rig.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carb to EFI

hmmm
sounds like instanity!
The amount of time + money to make it work would probably get you a really nice new machine.

What rig is it that you have? and why the need for efi?
If you only want to go throttle body I dont see the point.... You ride in insanly varying weather or elevations? thats the only thing I could see.
Are you a control freak? and want to have a computer that you can tinker with to dial in that perfect idle?
You would be adding alot of parts, and in my opinion, making the machine more unreliable, as you rely more and more on your electrical system.

dead battery... bad charging system, wire falls off.. computer gets wet,you are screwed
Kind of hard to kill a carburated atv...
There is just as much performance potential for a carb atv as an efi one, espec with this aftermarket we have.
And a custom efi!

However.. I am very interested in your idea, what kind of quad do you have, and what kind of system do you want to put in?
Is it from another atv, or a motor cycle?

Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb to EFI

I have the Sportsman MV7 model. I would like to put EFI on it because I moved north and the winter temps get below zero regularly for 3-4 months of the year. There is an 800efi available to the military, but not to the civilians (mv800 is what polaris calls it). I really like the throttle response on the 700efi models and the cold start stability.

I do agree with you on adding the EFI decreases the reliability. A lot of components can die on a carb before the machine won't run-- i had to unplug my pod once to get home because i rolled it down a rocky hill and crushed it.. it wouldn't run with the speedo plugged in. I unplugged it... started right up.

I don't know how hard direct injection would be... i was just thinking direct polaris tb like on a 700efi. do you know of any sources that I could use to do this project?

Old 09-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carb to EFI

not sure where you would begin... Maybe someone else here can answer..
Id assume get a wrecked 700 efi or parted out motor on ebay.. that would be easiest, but expensive.

I have some more ideas:
Throttle response could be improved with lots of things, mostly carb related.
Try getting a jet kit for the carb... I also know you can jet/tune the carb for lower temps.. and if this was done, it would run optimally in the cold temperatures.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default carb to EFI

nothing beats a efi for starting in the cold temps. you would have to get a gas tank that will hold the fuel pump if its not already built in. the throttle response is way better on efi vs carb as well. as far as it getting wet and having problems, there is none that i know of since ive had mine completety under water and wet and never had any issues. just my 2 cents. oh, and it also wouldnt be worth converting price wise in my book.