Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 500efi electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris 500efi electrical problem

Ya know boys, I just rememberd ONE time I was runnin down the road and my bike quit for no reason, (well, I did stop rather fast) Took a few seconds to start, Could that be a sign??

Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

could be. mines did not have a problem starting, it just would not run right

Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

At one time mine spit and sputtered until it killed the engine. I had a heck of a time trying to restart it.

I ended up opening the throttle up to the point that it started to fire, then when it did go on its own. I beelined it home before it could act up again. Of course. this was before I knew what the problem was.

Later I found out if you disconnect this connector, it will run ok with no sputtering. But the check engine light will be on. I guess you are forcing the computer into a limp home mode as they call it in the auto industry.

I have read else where that the engine won't run as powerful and your gas mileage may suffer. But it sure beats the aggrevation of it cutting out on the trail when your're 20 miles home.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

FLATULENT
thanks for the reply. i checked mine out and although it didnt appear to have any problem i pulled the sensor out and checked the connector. it looked fine. i pulled the rubber boot from the sensor and inspected it for damage and it also looked ok. put it back together and took a cruise and every thing is great. only went out back a while to look for deer sign, but it was 4 miles. previously it would act up whitin 2 miles.
maybe the rubber boot wasnt seated right and air was leaking around it or maybe by removing the connector it corrected it i dont know . but it appears you hit the nail on the head as far as where the problem starts, and i appriciate the help from you and every one else. ill keep you posted if i find somthig else.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hope you fixed it but I wouldn't don't let the looks deceive you. As I mentioned, my just recently replaced connector and wires looked good too, but the wire had broken internally. It's possible that you can move the connector or wire to a position that the wire makes contact internally again and vibration can cause the same symptons to reoccur.

You can check for this condition by gentle tugging on the wire and watch to see if the insulation stretches. If it stretches, you may be able to solder the wire back together if its not broken inside the connector. A word of advice to everyone who reads this, always solder your wire connections and use heat shrink tubing Never use butt connectors, they usually fail after a while especially with all the vibration that occurs on a ATV.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Did the same with my 2007 model. The bike did not go well after i become warm. So after reading this tread I pulled the wires little, suddently i goes check engine. When I pushed the wires again it went ok.

I did not change the connector/plug , I only changed the pins/metal pieces inside the plug. Enlarged the wires with 7 cm eatch 0.5mm speaker cable. Total cost nearly nothing ,£1 maybe.

Everything are ok after this [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

That is good advice. If this happens to me again, I will attempt to do the same thing. Where did you find the pins that would work inside the connector? Digikey or some other online electronics supply house?

Old 09-29-2007, 02:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I went down to my polaris dealer. He is also a Harley dealer so those pins was very regular as I understood. Think he says something about chevrolet used those in they plugs.
They was on a strip with pins on.
When you change these you need to remove the plastic cover in front of the plug, Now you will see a plastic tag(need light to see). Take a small thin object and bend this plastic tag and push out the pin.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

There is a harness kit available to fix the tbap sensor wire breaks on 500's and 700's. I don't have the paper here but do have it at the shop. If you want the part number reply to this and I'll find it at work. Also, this is a common prob!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, please post part number here. I have had the same problem and solved it as melk54 described.

Quick Reply: polaris 500efi electrical problem