Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 800 efi tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007 | 06:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2007 800 efi tranny question

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

condsidering this is your first post and being a professional tech i wouldnt think it very nice your in here bashing the polaris because 1 ebs one way clutch failed. i heard alot of bad things about the king quads but im not going to start bashing them for sure. just my .02 if it freezes up(the one way bushing) most of the time the bike starts to creep or will squeel the belt. there are dozen's of post on this.</end quote></div>

Agreed.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Old 12-28-2007 | 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DIRTBIKR101

I dont know if this is a common problem or not, but i am a tech at a suzuki dealership and i just got a sportsman 800 with that same shifting problem! after inspecting it I found that there is a one way clutch on the drive clutch shaft that siezed up because of heat and caused both sheaves to go bad (this makes it so the clutch never disengages!!) and also caused the owner to break the shift mechanism due to trying to force into gear! my recomendation is to buy an after market drive clutch set up in parts unlimited that eliminates the one way clutch that causes this problem... the set up runs about 364$ but it is a perm. fix! the other thing to do is to sell the atv and buy a king quad! cause this is a huge flaw in polarises design!

hope i helped you guyz!

p.s. i also called the local polaris dealer to see if theyve seen this problem and they denied it.... so theyre no help</end quote></div>

I've been working on Polaris ATV's for 15 years at a dealership and have NEVER seen the one way clutch sieze. I have seen other issues that cause drag but cost way less than 364 dollars to fix. Id like to know the whole story on what happened.

Old 12-29-2007 | 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

A: Im not bashing polaris... i do think it could be a better design... but i saw other people with the same symptoms that this one had and the problem was that the one way clutch was seized, witch caused the belt to slip on the drive clutchs causing everything to heat up due to friction and both sheeves cracked and the trust washers disinagrated.. the fix i recomended was a whole after market clutch set that gets rid of the one way clutch, because i feel that if u ride your machine hard like this was that it will just keep failing, also this paticular machine only has 700 miles on it... no automatic clutch should fail with that low of hours!

B: Im not trying to strike an argument with any1, i was just trying to help the people who have had this problem... just because you havent seen or had this problem... it does exist!!

Old 12-29-2007 | 10:59 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i have seen this problem but it isnt a big issue w/ thousands of bike sold. im glad your not bashing polaris or any brand as you know being a tech that anything mechanical will break. i wouldnt want to get rid of the ebs set up as it works pretty good. polaris isnt by far perfect but no brand is. any info to share in the good way is alway welcome.

Old 12-29-2007 | 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like a zuki tech out looking for other quads with problems to help make his zuki's look better. keep looking cause in this forum you won't find anyone who would trade their polaris for your king quad.

Old 12-30-2007 | 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tcihla79

sounds like a zuki tech out looking for other quads with problems to help make his zuki's look better. keep looking cause in this forum you won't find anyone who would trade their polaris for your king quad.</end quote></div>

Thats a real intellagent argument lol... trust me i dont need to do anything to make suzukis look better! and suzuki, honda, yamaha, kawi, polaris... etc. all make good machines and they all have there flaws! i was simply looking to see if any1 else had they same or similiar problem and i found some1 so i told them what i found... but apperently all people want to do in this forum is argu... so ill find another forum that people can have normal conversations and help each other out!!

Old 12-30-2007 | 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Well you convinced me. I'm off to buy a Suzuki [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Well maybe not.

Don't be upset. In your introduction to our fine forums you told of ONE problem you saw ONE time and said Suzuki was a better bike. That seems to get people riled up for sure, but I hope you expected a little flak for it. I'm not looking to argue with you, I have better things to do with my time but a little respect goes a long way.

Old 12-30-2007 | 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Now back on topic, make sure the idle isn't too high keeping the clutches engaged and the trans spinning. If the idle is too high it WILL cause hard shifting.

Old 12-30-2007 | 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

just kidding man, lol, all makes have issues and all makes have one advantage over another. one thine that i have found is the area you live in has alot to do with what you ride, don't ask me why but i see that alot.

Old 12-30-2007 | 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

the comment i made bout trading ur polaris for a suzuki was just sarcasim... i really just wanted to try to find out if this problem has happened before and try to help some1 if it has! about the idle thing.. that was the first thing i checked.. the customer kept forcing it into gear and it fckd up the shift mech. and bent the road, and the first thing i thought was abuse, then i found the one way bushing siezd and wantd to read up on it... sorry if i came across bashing ur machines...