Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 Sportsman CV boot clamp installation, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Sportsman CV boot clamp installation, HELP

I relaced the rear CV boot on my 700 Sportsman, everything went smooth with a little bit of trouble getting the axle out with the inside retaing pin that holds in the axle inside the bearings.
I have got it all back together but cannot get the clamps to tighten all the way, i can almost get the small one but i cant even get close with the big one.
I work 12 hr days and Sats.,and would have to take off work to get a tool, which is a big deal right now, im sure they make a tool for this? Dont they?
But does anyone know a couple of tricks that will work, please help !!

If i have to have a tool i could maybe fing someone to go get one, there is a Honda shop in town but the nearest Polaris Dealer is 30 mi. one way.
Are the ones on Honda's the same? Would the tool wotk?

Old 09-21-2007, 01:37 AM
Range Rover

If it is the same clamp that is used on a Sportsman 500 and I think it is take a extra pair of vise grips and grind down the tips of the jaws until they fit into the notches of the clamp. Then adjust the vise grip so when it closes you are able to fasten the clamp. It takes a little foolin with it but it works well. I think you can buy the tool for about 40 bucks.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kcebcj

If it is the same clamp that is used on a Sportsman 500 and I think it is take a extra pair of vise grips and grind down the tips of the jaws until they fit into the notches of the clamp. Then adjust the vise grip so when it closes you are able to fasten the clamp. It takes a little foolin with it but it works well. I think you can buy the tool for about 40 bucks.</end quote></div>

Would this be the small needle nose type vise grips? Or what would be the beat type ? I might give this a try, i cant take off work to go spend 40 bucks on something that might get used 2 or 3 times a year .
On top of that lose 3 hours O.T. and a days production bonus.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:35 AM
Range Rover

I just took one of the small worn out vise grips that I had and used a disk grinder and shaped the ends so it would work.

I am with you about spending money on a tool that gets used very little when something else will work just as well. If you have to go buy a vise grip you just as well buy the correct tool. I think there is some tool supply houses on line that carry the tool for that type of clamp

Old 09-21-2007, 02:49 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: glockshtr

I relaced the rear CV boot on my 700 Sportsman, everything went smooth with a little bit of trouble getting the axle out with the inside retaing pin that holds in the axle inside the bearings.

I have got it all back together but cannot get the clamps to tighten all the way, i can almost get the small one but i cant even get close with the big one.

I work 12 hr days and Sats.,and would have to take off work to get a tool, which is a big deal right now, im sure they make a tool for this? Dont they?

But does anyone know a couple of tricks that will work, please help !!

If i have to have a tool i could maybe fing someone to go get one, there is a Honda shop in town but the nearest Polaris Dealer is 30 mi. one way.

Are the ones on Honda's the same? Would the tool wotk?</end quote></div>

Check some auto parts stores u might be able to loan it

Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i used a regual pr/ of nedle nose pliers and it works just fine. just make sure the nose ends are in good shape to grip the small little "****" that you have to use to close them.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

also if you are putting on aftermarket boots the rubber is thicker so the original clamp will be a hair to short.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

glock -

Why couldn't you just order off of the internet to save time from work etc.
if the other tool work-arounds don't work for ya? Just a thought!

R'