Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Problem with AWD or rider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007 | 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Problem with AWD or rider?

Just for clarity - I own a Polaris because I think they're the best quad for how I use one. No way would I trade my Sportsman for the Kodiak when it comes to mud riding, or trail riding in 2x4 for that matter.

Both will traverse logs, but IMHO, there is a difference in "always on" and "on demand" in this situation. Granted, it's very small (2" slip per hobbles' post) and was inconsequential in my decision to buy Polaris given the greater upside of true AWD when you need it.

And no, I don't have to gain any momentun to load the ATV or cross logs. I approach both the same as I always have. 2x4 is sufficient on the Polaris and if it's not, the rear wheels will spin and BOTH of the front tires will pull me through or over.

Just my .02. :-)

Old 09-22-2007 | 12:51 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

The guy just dropped it back off and he said that he didn't think I was revving the engine enough, but they did check out the belt and clutch. He said if I had blipped the throttle that I could have gotten the front end to jump up rather than push itself into the tailgate, but then I might have gone through the truck....
Just something I'll have to get a feel for I guess. And use low next time.

Old 09-22-2007 | 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Randy S

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm a little disappointed in the AWD right now because without anything spinning (the rears) the front tires never locked in and turned to help the Sportsman into the bed of the truck.</end quote></div>

That's the behavior I would expect from a Polaris AWD; the front doesn't lock in until the rear loses traction.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm thinking a conventional 4WD quad would have had an edge here. </end quote></div>

I believe this as well; a good example is crossing logs on trails. I can run my Yamaha up to the log and the front will help pull me over the log. Yes, it's only one of the two front tires, but it helps. My Polaris tries to push the log as there is no help from the front wheels until the rear spins.

Seems to me a nice feature would be the ability to electronically lock in all four as needed.</end quote></div>

I have never ever had this problem. As a matter of fact, one of my deer leases is on timber company land and they are always logging somewhere. When they log, they leave some logs lying on the cut outs in the woods. I have rode down these cuts with no problem. Each time I come up to a log and the back wheels slightly spin, I climb right over. And it seems that many people don't realize how much the back tires slip b4 the front lock. It is only 1/5th of a turn. If you have 25" tires, then take the diameter of the tire, which in this case would be 25" and multiply by pi (3.1415...) to get the circumference in inches. This would be 78.5" for a 25" tall tire. Now divide that by 12" per foot which will give you 6.5 linear feet. Take this 6.5 feet and multiply by 20%, the amount required by the polaris system back wheel spillage b4 the front wheels lock. This will give you 1.3 feet that the tire needs to slip before the front wheels lock which = 15.7 inches.

THIS IS NOT A LOT CONSIDERING YOUR VELOCITY OF THE ROTATING TIRE.

Polar, yamaha, arctic cat, suzuki & kawie diff lock systems are all great and each has their good points. I like them all.

Old 09-22-2007 | 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............I must have double posted..........I just blame it on the computer.....LOL.

Old 09-22-2007 | 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I have never ever had this problem.</end quote></div> I don't believe the original poster's issue is a problem at all; it's how the Polaris is designed to work (unless there turns out to be a belt or clutch problem).

The difference between my Yamaha and my Polaris is simply that it takes a rear wheel spin on the Polaris before the front wheels engage. While the rear wheels are generating somewhere between 2" and 15" of spin, the quad is pushing forward on the log.

Old 09-22-2007 | 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Randy S

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I have never ever had this problem.</end quote></div> I don't believe the original poster's issue is a problem at all; it's how the Polaris is designed to work (unless there turns out to be a belt or clutch problem).

The difference between my Yamaha and my Polaris is simply that it takes a rear wheel spin on the Polaris before the front wheels engage. While the rear wheels are generating somewhere between 2" and 15" of spin, the quad is pushing forward on the log.</end quote></div>

Randy, I totally agree and you are correct. I wasn't disputing you, but just putting some calculated number to it. Both are good and each might be slightly better in different applications, but I was just mainly replying to put the calculated numbers out there. Anyway, who better to compare the two than someone like you that has both machines. Good imput.

Old 09-22-2007 | 02:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

padog, it does take getting use to using the throttle and i dont blame you for not wanting to over throttle thru the back window. they are correct in you should always use lowrange and awd doesnt hurt either. im sure when your better use to it it will be fine. good luck and enjoy.

Old 09-22-2007 | 10:41 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Little tip for riders worried about taking out there back window in there pick-up truck........................................I put a full size spare tire in the center of the truck bed(need spare anyway) up at the window.....................When I drive the quad on the tire wedges in between the two front tires of the Sportsman and stops me before I even get near the window..............................Note this will not work on smaller boxes where you need the ATV all the way up front..................Caper.............

Old 09-22-2007 | 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka

Little tip for riders worried about taking out there back window in there pick-up truck........................................I put a full size spare tire in the center of the truck bed(need spare anyway) up at the window.....................When I drive the quad on the tire wedges in between the two front tires of the Sportsman and stops me before I even get near the window..............................Note this will not work on smaller boxes where you need the ATV all the way up front..................Caper.............</end quote></div>

Neat idea. I usually use my trailer for my sp800 X2 and put the bf750 in the back of the truck. However, I have a rhino lined ranch hand head rack with louvers infront of the back window, so if I can break out my back window, I must be going top speed.....LOL.

My brother build a wood stopper for his truck that he takes out each time. It is about 3 ft tall and 2 ft long. His praire 360 fits snug with it in there. But I still think he can hit the gas too hard and come over the top.

One of my hunting buddies launched his polaris 330 magnum into his Z71 back window at the lease a few years ago. It was funny hearing him tell the story about how every dear in the county heard him yell a few "choice" words. LOL

Old 09-23-2007 | 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 700vtwinman

One of my hunting buddies launched his polaris 330 magnum into his Z71 back window at the lease a few years ago. It was funny hearing him tell the story about how every dear in the county heard him yell a few "choice" words. LOL</end quote></div>

I did a similar boneheaded move many years ago now. I had the brilliant vision of myself launching my Honda 300 4x4 up the very steep ramps into the bed of my ford truck (it sat high off the ground) and plopping down neatly into bed. I thought it would impress the girls who were watching (why does everything bad that happen to me involve a girl in some way?) and make me look like Mr. Smooth. Well, I went zooming up the ramp alright but carried entirely too much speed which is shocking I know. I sailed right across the bed and put the wheels and tires through the back sliding window glass.

As for myself I couldn't hang on obviously and I flew clear over the hood of my truck and over another truck parked in front of mine and ended up smashing through the back hatch of a Dodge Daytona. I'm thinking as I'm flying trough the air "this didn't turn out the way I planned...not at all...and those girls are watching....try to look cool when you land." Next thing I know I'm laying on subwoofers covered in broken glass. Hard to look cool sprawled in the hatchback of Daytona bleeding from many cuts with a subwoofer poking you in the butt. Really difficult to pull off any semblance of coolness.

Quick Reply: Problem with AWD or rider?