Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Problem with AWD or rider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with AWD or rider?

I guess I need a little help with technique and the AWD system on my new Sportsman 800.
The dealer forgot to hook up the winch, so he sent a guy out to do so. Well, he didn't bring the tools necessary to do the job (terminals, crimper) and it looked like he couldn't find the ground wire, so he asked if it was OK to take it and bring it back tomorrow. Sure I said, what the hey, I've only had it for 20 hours, go ahead and take it :^(
Well, he had a pickup and I don't have ramps, so we backed him up to a little hill in my yard. The front tires hit the tailgate about halfway up the rubber and the quad was just a very little downhill. I was in AWD and high. The motor revved and did nothing. I revved it some more and nothing, so he grabbed the brush guard and helped the front end on. Even though the truck was obviously setting lower, he had to do the same for the rear when those tires hit the tailgate.

So, what's up? Should I have been in low? Should I have really put the throttle to it? Should I have gotten a moving start? I'm trying to take it easy so I don't end up driving through his cab and off the front hood, plus I didn't know how strong the tailgate would be, but I really expected this thing to muscle its way up there. I'm a little disappointed in the AWD right now because without anything spinning (the rears) the front tires never locked in and turned to help the Sportsman into the bed of the truck. I'm thinking a conventional 4WD quad would have had an edge here.

What do you think? Any comments and advice? Am I always going to need momentum and throttle to help me over obstacles if the traction is so good that the rear tires never spin?

Thanks

Old 09-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer

get it checked ,something is wrong.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

something is wrong for sure but its not the awd if the wheels didnt even turn(spin). you should be able to pretty much go over backs wards if you want when your putting the throttle to it. this wheeler takes off around 1350 rpms so the clutch should have engaged. sounds like the belt may have smoked. oh and if you were to lose traction, you would have no problem spinning 4 tires even in high range w/ the 800. better have them look at the clutches while they have it since the mech. was there and watched you not get into the truck.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

That sure don't sound right, I have the 500 and I DO believe that mine would clime a telephone pole at 1/2 mph in low and in 4, I think it's strange that the mech didn't say anything bout it, But then not brining the tools to do the job he was sent out to do was strange in it self,, Good luck,,

Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm a little disappointed in the AWD right now because without anything spinning (the rears) the front tires never locked in and turned to help the Sportsman into the bed of the truck.</end quote></div>
That's the behavior I would expect from a Polaris AWD; the front doesn't lock in until the rear loses traction.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm thinking a conventional 4WD quad would have had an edge here. </end quote></div>
I believe this as well; a good example is crossing logs on trails. I can run my Yamaha up to the log and the front will help pull me over the log. Yes, it's only one of the two front tires, but it helps. My Polaris tries to push the log as there is no help from the front wheels until the rear spins.

Seems to me a nice feature would be the ability to electronically lock in all four as needed.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the fast feedback! I'm going to make sure they get things checked out. After reading your responses I feel certain now that it should have climbed into the back of the truck without the rears having to tear up my yard by spinning first.
I'm going to simulate the same thing when I get it back if I have to cut down a tree to give me someting to climb over, or maybe reinact putting it into the truck they bring it back on.

Just got off the phone with the salesman and he said I should have been in low, but I'm not buying that. I told him I wasn't going to stop and put it in low when I come upon a log in the trail.

I'll let you know.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Mornin padog
Your rear tire will spin bout 2" before all 4 will kick in, You won't even feel it kick in, But you should use low when ever you are under bout 10 mph, Not doin so can eat your belt, But still, it should of climed that with no problem, Now the good part, You can leave it in 4 MOST of the time, It only kicks in when needed, and it's all 4, not 3, A friend of mine and I was ridin last night and commin out of the creek He spun for a bit till his kicked in, even then only 3 kicked in, He now has a 750 brute force, First thing he said was "I sure miss the Polaris 4 wheel set up". He has to stop and put his in 4 wheel when he needs it then stop on top of the hill and take it out, Even then it's only in 3 till he pulls his lil handle, Don't get me wrong, I am NOT puttin his brute force down, It's a nice quad, But, IMHO, I think Polaris 4 is best out there, SO does he,, Isn't Cam am now usin the same setup on their's this year??

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

PS: You can't beat the truff mode it has when riddin on hard roads,,

Old 09-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Randy S

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm a little disappointed in the AWD right now because without anything spinning (the rears) the front tires never locked in and turned to help the Sportsman into the bed of the truck.</end quote></div>

That's the behavior I would expect from a Polaris AWD; the front doesn't lock in until the rear loses traction.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm thinking a conventional 4WD quad would have had an edge here. </end quote></div>

I believe this as well; a good example is crossing logs on trails. I can run my Yamaha up to the log and the front will help pull me over the log. Yes, it's only one of the two front tires, but it helps. My Polaris tries to push the log as there is no help from the front wheels until the rear spins.

Seems to me a nice feature would be the ability to electronically lock in all four as needed.</end quote></div>

you know ive had 7 polaris's and never had the issue your talking about and have ridden w/ alot other 3 wheel(4x4) drives that cant even begin to go where ive taken my true awd. since his back wheels didnt even spin theres nothing wrong (or least for this issue he had) w/ his awd. ive been in the same (log climbing) place as you described and had to switch into awd (as i wait to see how far i can go in 2 wheel) and never had that or any issue w/ my polaris. now my friends brute force has to be in 4x4 befroe he goes in or it will drop in w/ a huge bang(can take the front end out) to engage. so alot other 4x4's have thast isssue but ive never had the problem. lucky i guess. just my opinion.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

This tells you all about the Polaris AWD system. How Polaris AWD works.

For loading in trucks always use low so it creep in the truck not throws itself in the truck which in can in high range.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Am I always going to need momentum and throttle to help me over obstacles if the traction is so good that the rear tires never spin? </end quote></div>

How can you be in forward gear and apply gas and the rear wheels do not move?
I did have a belt slip while trying to creep up a steep gully, but it was obvious I was in a low range situation,I just wanted to try it out anyways.[img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Problem with AWD or rider?