Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EGT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the engine gas thermometers that are sold on most of the ATV websites? I here they are a must for 2 stroke owners and then again, I here a lot of people say you can accomplish the same thing by aquiring a keen eye for spark plug condition. I apparently don't have this, since I never could get my Scrambler running right last year

One other thing, is the digital thermometer worth the extra money over the cheaper meter type EGT? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2001, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Man my grammer stinks! Sorry everyone, I guess I was trying to do two things at once.

Old 01-05-2001, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

go with a 3 screen digitron with 1 EGT probe 1 water temp probe and 1 tach probe , you wont regret it.

also why did you say the hsp pipe was a waist? I was thinking of buying one for my quad.

Old 01-05-2001, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

NEIL, I bought my kit from Hot Seat last spring. It came with a pipe, silencer, K/N filter and Hypershift clutch kit. This came to a little less then $500. I just looked at their online catalog and I don't see this kit anymore, but the individual parts look the same. I did some research before buying the kit and I called HSP to make sure everything would be okay for the make and model of my machine, they, of course, said yes.

When I got the kit, I didn't want to take any chances so I took it to the dealer that sold me the machine. First off, the silencer was not the one they showed in the picture in the magazine. It's 3 times as big and 3 times as heavy as my stock silencer and I can't find a spark arrestor to fit it. When the dealer was done installing the parts, he found that the pipe didn't fit! He called HSP and asked them what the deal was and they said this was a known problem with the 2000’s and that it "shouldn't" melt the plastic as long as extra heat tape was applied between the pipe and heat shield (and remember, I did call them before hand to make sure everything would be okay with my machine).

When I called them myself about jetting the carb because the specs they sent with weren't even close, they really blew me off. I really started to get the feeling that all they wanted me to do from the get go was send them the money for the kit and let them alone.

I have never dealt with HPD, RCR or even Aaen, but I've heard plenty of good things about them on the forum and, unfortunately, I didn't know about this website before I bought my kit from HSP, otherwise, I would have known not to buy it. Everyone I've talked and just about every post I've read, other than a select few, have recommended against HSP all the way. I really wish I had known better.

Well, good luck with your upgrades, I'll look into the digital EGT that you recommended. I think my biggest concern is cost, so I'll have to weigh the differences between the analog meter style EGT and the digital.

Old 01-05-2001, 10:03 PM
Range Rover

Hey NEIL

What do one of those cost and where can you get one?

Thanks
KD