Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Hawkeye -- carb problems and more

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Hawkeye -- carb problems and more

I have been off-roading for a long time now with Jeeps and other automobiles. Recently, I purchased 2 new 2007 Hawkeyes from a local dealer. One is a limited edition model and the other is the standard green.

After the first time we took them out, the green model fouled a plug. I read previous posts on here about Hawkeyes (most of them 2006 models) running rich. Since then, I've leaned out the green one pretty considerably. However, it still appears to be running rich and fouls plugs. Moreover, it bogs between 3/4 and full throttle when it is under load. On the other side, the LE has run perfectly, without a single flaw, from the beginning.

In addition to the spark plug issue/running issue, the green has black rear suspension/a-arm while the LE has silver (apparently, the LE package). I was under the impression that all 2007 models had red rear suspension.

In addition to all of the above, the green's vacuum/vent (?) tubes are totally different than the LE's. If you are sitting on the machine, on the right side of the engine there is what appears to be a vacuum outlet. On the green, there is simply a plug. On the LE, the outlet runs into a Y connector that vents into the rear of the engine block. It does not make any sense for two identical model year machines to have such a different intake/carb setup.

The LE was built in February 2007 and the green was built in September 2006. I am beginning to wonder if the green machine is actually an 2006 model, despite what the selling dealer stated on the bill of sale. Many of the problems I am experiencing seem to occur mostly with 2006 models.

Any thoughts or advice? Does anyone know a contact number at Polaris that I can call and have them run the VIN on the green to confirm that it is a 2007 model.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Wish I could help, but I have not had a complaint about my 06. They did have a jetting problem but the dealers have the fix.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Send me the vin and I'll run it for you and let you know if there are any bulletins or not on that machine. Just know that when I run a vin I get info on who purchased the unit. Phone number, address, selling dealer etc. Just FYI. There were some carb changes, clutching etc. Vin would be very helpful. Let me know.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Below is a picture comparison between the two machines. The top picture is the green and the bottom is the LE.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

As far as I can tell the 07's should be the same according to Polaris's dealer page. The 06 has a different setup but doesn't show the cap. Any chance of a vin?

Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your help 94harley. I sent you a private message.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Don't post the VIN in the forum. You never know who reads the forums and what they might do with a VIN. If you guys need to share the VIN do it via a PM.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

My '07 was made in 9/ 06 also. It has the red plug on the "vent" coming out of the cam chain area too. I wonder if the other set up is for a state like California with stricter emission laws. A kind of PCV valve??? Just a thought.

I thought only the '06 Hawkeye's had the red rear suspension. Kind of a "look at me I have IRS" for the first year of production. My '07 has black suspension parts.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dbeck

Don't post the VIN in the forum. You never know who reads the forums and what they might do with a VIN. If you guys need to share the VIN do it via a PM.</end quote></div>

That's why I stated the info that running a vin gives. Let them decide. I was thinking a pm to do it. Never meant to post it online.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 00XJ

My '07 was made in 9/ 06 also. It has the red plug on the "vent" coming out of the cam chain area too. I wonder if the other set up is for a state like California with stricter emission laws. A kind of PCV valve??? Just a thought.

I thought only the '06 Hawkeye's had the red rear suspension. Kind of a "look at me I have IRS" for the first year of production. My '07 has black suspension parts.</end quote></div>

Thanks for that information. I swear I read somewhere that the red rear suspension parts were the 2007 "upgraded" parts that the dealers installed after people with '06s busted the subframe tabs. But of course I cannot find the thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

It does look kind of like a PCV valve, but I am not sure. If that is the case, not sure why a Georgia dealer would have two machines built for different areas.

I probably sound like a lunatic conspiracy theorist. But I swear something is strange with the green. It runs totally different than the LE.

Quick Reply: 2007 Hawkeye -- carb problems and more