Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which to buy scrambler 500, raptor 700r or wolverine 450??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which to buy scrambler 500, raptor 700r or wolverine 450??

I've been riding / racing dirt bikes, atv's or jet skis my whole life. But i got out of it due to college and needing to focus on something else. Now it's time for fun again... I've been doing a ton of looking and reading every where to find just the ride atv for me this time now that money isn't a issue. I'll be mostly doing trail rides, jumps and just having a blast. I have to admit at first when I was looking I was really going for something that is fast I can whip the rear end around in turns and just have a blast with .. with out *not* being able to go through mud or (all trails). Which lead me to the brand new scrambler 500 or brand new 450 wolverine. These are the differences I've noticed.... scrambler seems to be faster and has a lot more sport feel to it and more fire in the engine *pick up*. But the things I read that worry me are as follows. 1. I hear about 40% reviews from people yelling how they are fixing stuff all the time. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to work on the thing all the time I want to ride it. 2. The belt seems to be slipping and just all around *breaking down on you problems*. Now the wolverine seems to not have a problem in this area yet I hear 50% of people yelling how it's not fast enough and how they can't really go out and have fun on the thing for this reason. Now I've even watched every video I can find on these three machines and I have to admit the 700r raptor seems to be by far my favorite bike as far as how it's fast, can jump, spin and seems to do pretty good on trails. But here are my questions that I'd love for you to help me answer ...

1. Just how bad is the scrambler as far as breaking down?
2. Can you fly around turns and sling the back end of the wolverine out like I see videos of the scrambler doing and the raptor? Or is this just bad riders I'm watching?
3. *important* I'd seriously hands down say the raptor 700 but just how easy is it to get this thing stuck? If I travel different places with my atv am I going to have a hard time riding trails with this atv because it gets stuck and can't climb hills? Or will this thing take on like 2 or 3 ft or water or mud if you handle it right? And will it handle rocky or hard hill climbs with rocks or mud ??

(My riding will be on trails and just taking off every where but yet I don't want to worry where I go because I'm going to get stuck or can't handle a hill or can't cross normal creeks. Now I know that a 2x4 isn't going to go in mud pits and stuff but I'm saying normal to a little extreme riding conditions and can jump what do you think I'm best with???)

Thanks so much for your time
Stephen

Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant beat the Scrambler for all around fun atv top speed is around 65mph tons of lowend power and if that isnt enough there is a ton of mods that can make it very quick but the topend is limited due to the 4x4 system.Yes you can slide it.
On the break downs if you do the general maintanence you wont be fixing it anymore than any of the others.It is hands down over the 450 Wolverine.You will be able to play with the sport bikes on the track and the woods and hold your own with the UTE guys in the mud.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

Have you looked at the Outlaw 525 irs it is as fast if not faster then the raptor an it has more ground clearence.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

scrambler.......go for it.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Range Rover

Just traded my 05 scrambler to the new renegade 500, and I love it. I would throw rocks at the scrambler now. I don't have it broke in yet, but I think the scrambler is faster on the top end than the renegade, but that is about the only advantage I would give the scrambler. Handling, low-end power, instrumentation, comfort, BRAKES, suspension, and looks all go the the renegade. The scrambler is a good machine, I loved mine, but Polaris needs to give it a few updates or a complete makeover.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wolverine is a great quad, I have never had good luck with a Polaris myself. I do wish the wolverine had about another 50 cc to the motor but I can still slide it around do some jumps and bust out donuts. With the mods that are available for it it just makes it that much better.