Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 700 EFI Fuel Pump

Hopefully someone can give me some advice
I have been reading all these posts and am willing to go try the
Fuel Pump: Airtex E8198 -
or
Strainer: Airtex FS111 -

But my symptom is a little different, Instead of my machine cutting out or quiting after a couple hours. Mine doesn't even start.
I don't hear the Fuel Pump even turn on when I turn the key.
I took off the fuel tank and examined the fuel pump and it looks a little corroded. Had almost 0 gas in it left in the garage for about a year, charged the battery and it just cranks and cranks but no fuel pump noise, nor was there fuel in the fuel line (Yes I did add fuel to the tank)
Anyone else have any ideas that would cause the fuel pump not to intialize? I hate to go buy a $100 fuel pump if it may be a fuse or something.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have found your problem. If you have a 12 volt test lite or voltage meter , check to see if you have power going to the pump. If you have power and it doesn't work you are going to have to spend some money. But the good part is most likely you will have a running ATV.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would test as mentioned and check the fuel pump fuse to make sure it's still good.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies guys,
I did an Ohms test on the wires to the furel pump and it seems to be getting power.
Where is the fuse you speak of for the fuel pump?

I ordered an Airtex E8198 fuel pump and will pick it up later today and try it tonight. $89 better than $500 from polaris ,,,,hope it works.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

[QUOTE=mikehops48;2897262]Thanks for the replies guys,
I did an Ohms test on the wires to the furel pump and it seems to be getting power.
QUOTE]

Not to be technical, but I'm hoping you ment, a voltage test.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Lovmudd,
Good catch, yes I did a voltage test, I have a multimeter but for whatever reason I always called it an Ohms meter and Ohms test just came out.
I did a quick test when I got home with the Airtex E8198 fuelpump.
i hooked it up to the wires and turned the ignition briefly and the new Airtex went off. Looks like I have indeed found the problem. Now I just have to put it all together today. Need to go buy some plugs and replace those while Im at it. They aren't easy to get to.
Thanks for your input, I certainly appreciate it.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

another fuel pump problem fixed for less then the $500. polaris wants. does my heart good to see this lol.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mikehops48
Thanks Lovmudd,
Good catch, yes I did a voltage test, I have a multimeter but for whatever reason I always called it an Ohms meter and Ohms test just came out.
I did a quick test when I got home with the Airtex E8198 fuelpump.
i hooked it up to the wires and turned the ignition briefly and the new Airtex went off. Looks like I have indeed found the problem. Now I just have to put it all together today. Need to go buy some plugs and replace those while Im at it. They aren't easy to get to.
Thanks for your input, I certainly appreciate it.

Congradulations, it's always a good feeling when you can fix it yourself and save a bundle of money in the process!!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for your advice guys.

2006 Sportsman 700 EFI
I replaced the spark plugs, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned out the fuel tank, the old strainer was all but desentrgrated in the tank, hooked up the new fuel pump, added fuel, hooked up the battery, primed the fuel pump and she fired right up. Put it all back together after that and took her out for a neighborhood test ride and works like a charm.

2004 Predator 90
Also replaced the brake cables, drained old fuel out of the tank, drained the carb, fired up it up.

2004 Scrambler 500
drained the tank and carb, replaced the spark plug, put in a new battery and fired it up.

Wife two sons and I are going for a ride tomorrow. These machines need to be run for a few hours.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey with the fuel pump replacement do you use the regulator from the old pump or discard it and put the fuel line supplied wth the new pump in place,i guess its a regulator but im not sure,i used the pump thats been suggested and it runs but it seems to run rich anyone with some advice would be greatful its a 04 sportsman 700 thanks

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Part Numbers for 800 EFI Fuel Pump