Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler Stuck In 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler Stuck In 4WD

I've slowly been fixing my 4WD problems on my Scrambler. I've got it to the point where everything works as it should, but it will not disengage from 4WD most of the time. One in a while it will dissengage and then go back to being in 4WD. This is whether the switch is on or off. I've drained and refilled both hubs several times. What else should I look for? One of my buddy's said to check the front gearcase oil. I did and it seemed to be full and fairly clean. Should I drain it and refill it? Can I use ATV in there or is there a certain type of oil to use?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I use just regular 75w-90 gear oil.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

what i would do is disassemble each hub and clean them they hate dirt. then i would re torque it to the right spec and that is also very inportant.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

The front diff will not affect the 4x4. If the hub bearings are too loose or too tight that can affect the 4x4. Make sure you use the right hub fluid too as it will make a differance as well as the oil level. Too much or too little can affect it as well. I think you put the fill plug to the 3oclock position and fill it till it comes out the hole.

Are both hubs engaging all the time, or just one?? If both engage at the same time, I might think it's electrical. If it's one or the other I would think it's mechanical.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

The hubs usually both engage at the sametime. There have been a few times when only one engages (the left one engages and the right one does not). I have cleaned them out really well, but I might be using the wrong fluid. I've been using ATF. Is there anything better to use? My closest Polaris dealer is over an hour away, so it's hard to get Polaris oil unless I make a trip for multiple things. I might laos have too much in there. How do I fill the hubs if the drain plug is at the 3 o'clock postition? Is there something special to use? I don't know how I would be able to do that with something liek a quart container. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

You can sub many fluids but the hub fluids is not one of them. The Polaris bottle will last you for many changes and has a small funnel cap to fill the small hub hole. You just drain old oil at 6 o clock than fill at 3 0clock and let the excess run out and put screw back in. I do it at 4 O'Clock but 3 O'Clock is probably OK.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm... OK. I guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer tomorrow. That just might be my problem. Any more opinions out there are welcome!!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Double check the springs that hold the rollers back.Don't try to pull them off (if you strestch them, there no good).If they're not tight, you will need to replace them.And you can use ATF but....it has to be type F, this is accirding ti hte manual.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I checked the rollers and they seemed to be good. I'm no mechanic, but they looked Ok to me. I am NOT using type F ATF. Could that be the problem? Maybe the stuff I'm using is too sticky? I think it's Mercon or something along that line. I know for a fact that I have to have too much of it in there to begin with. I'll drain the hubs and refill the in the moring and see what that does for me.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:41 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

My Clymer Manual says the same thing "ATF type F " can be used in hub if you have no Polaris stuff.

Quick Reply: Scrambler Stuck In 4WD