Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

00 Trail Boss 325 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Trail Boss 325 not starting

Well I have a 00 Trail Boss 325 4 Stroke, I haven't been able to get it started for a couple weeks now. I don't ride it very often & I'm affraid the fuel has broken down. When trying to start I have to have the choke on & it will run for a second just till I let off the starter switch. It ran fine til about a month ago I tried it out for some yard work & nothing. It did back fire the other day while (smart me) tried to start it in the storage building (metal building)almost deaf now lol. anyway If anyone has some pointers for me to look into I'll see what I can do thanks.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the carb off and clean both the main jet and the pilot jet.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like it is flooded. Change the plug and try it without giving it fuel.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was thinking it was flooded also I had removed all the plastic body panels looking for the Carb to clean it out but failed to find it. I do a little work under the hood of my cars but on the 4 wheeler everything is still hidden from me. If I can find the carb what kind of spray cleaner should I use? I have fuel injection cleaner, would that work or just a carb cleaner? As for the sparkplug it probably should be changed anyhow but like the carb I don't remember seeing it. lol I sound hopeless. Thanks for the great information & help.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

You need to take the carb off and apart to clean it right.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

take the carb off its easy take the float bowl off spray it all out with gumout carb cleaner blow it out with compressed air.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I sprayed the carb out & pulled the spark plug the plug is black like burnt toast.

edit
I got everything back together I just brushed the spark plug off to see if that will work & I tried to start nothing so I engaged the choke & a couple tries it fired. I turned off the choke & held the throttle for a bit then let off & it died. So I engaged the choke again restarted & it fired again I shut the choke off held the throttle a little longer & gave a few short revs. Then I left it running so I could get the seat & it didn't die. I ran a few laps arround the yard parked it shut it off then I restarted without choke & it fired. Well thanks everyone for the help I didn't even think about checking spark plugs so I learned something from this. Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forums dadngt.

Here's link that may help. It's the parts diagram for the Trail Boss. Should help you get an idea where anything is, and what may involved in getting to it.

You should be able to download that. I got a service manual on ebay for about 23 bucks. With those two things, you should be able to tackle most jobs on the Boss.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the welcome Scootergptx & for the manual That will come in handy.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

Take the carb off and clean both the main jet and the pilot jet.</end quote></div>

I second that!

you have to remove the pilot jet to clean it , run a small wire thru it and then blow it out ... its what controls the idle circuit

Quick Reply: 00 Trail Boss 325 not starting