Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CV Boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot replacement

Tore a left front boot on my 2002 sportsman 700, the joint seems good enough to re-use ( looks to be in perfect condition, even tho it did grind some grit for about 10 kms ), so i picked up a boot kit today.

The boot came with new clamps and a packet of grease.

I cleaned the joint out with brake cleaner and WD-40, blew it out with compressed air..

Now, the supplied grease, should that all go into the CV joint and / or into the boot ?

I know the joint has to be greased for sure, i have a tub of marine bearing grease ( the green stuff ) should i use that instead of the pouch ?

and any tips to get the clamps on there ? i do not have the special tool.. but i do have a variety of needle / etc..

Got the oil furnace burning in the garage.. toasty warm in 10 minutes ! lol..

Old 11-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

I used the whole packet when doing the rears. Put it on the joint as much as possible and the rest into the boot.
Not sure about that other grease no experiece. The grease in the packet seems to work good so far.
I have the tool for the clamps so havent came up with another way. On the rear though you have to reuse one clamp thouhg for clearance.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the stock grease is about the same as marine grease(although ive used it) while putting one back together. in my experince w/ polaris and kawaski once you have run a joint w/ a torn boot and get dirt or water in it, it doesnt matter how good you clean and repack they dont last long before the good ole clicking starts. you can use a good pair of needle nose pliers to take off and put on. just pay attention to how it came off, so you can put it back on. good luck.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

For the boot clamps, use a tile nipper. The tool is not expensive ( around $7 ) and really works good. A needles nose plier slips off of the small protrusions too easy to close it up tight. Just close the clamp part of the way with needles nose pliers so the tile nipper can use the jaws to catch the small nubbs to close it the rest of the way. I used a little WD40 around the clamp area to make the clamp slide easier for closing.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

just a side note: make sure you dont get any grease under the boot where the they slide in the indentations and where the clamps go or they dont seal good and may get water in the boot. just a thought.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

Instead of using the clamps that come with the kit, I use hose clamps. Then you can simply tighten it with a screwdriver or socket.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hose clamps might work on Yamaha but not Polaris.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

just a side note: make sure you dont get any grease under the boot where the they slide in the indentations and where the clamps go or they dont seal good and may get water in the boot. just a thought.</end quote></div>

Polarisitis and VroomVroom.. both me.. 2 profiles .. 1 at work 2 at home lol

Thanks for the help guys !! greatly apreciated !

I got the boot installed and the whole thing put back together.. BEFORE i read this comment above.. doh.

On my Honda 250SX i know to glue the drive-shaft boot to the collar to prevent water intrusion. but never occured to me that this is the same situation, i applied plenty of grease onto the splines.. / entire shaft including the indented collar on the drive shaft.. then slipped on the boot and got the clamps on.

Should i un-clip the clamps and glue down the boot ? Or leave it be ?

The hose clamps won't work here, not enough clearance.. but the bands that come with the boot were actually not that hard to get on.. !!! only took a minute !

Thanks again !

Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

there isnt any glue w/ it. iut just dry fits on for a perfect seal.