Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 800 Missing / Bogging

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007 | 01:29 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default 08 800 Missing / Bogging

Got a new 800 and have about 120 mile on it now. I was out riding on Saturday and it was running great. We put about 40 miles on. On Sunday, when I went to take it for a little spin I noticed it was cutting out when you punch the throttle a bit. I shut it down for a while and then it did the same thing again. I check to ensure the snorkle is not plugged, starving the thing for air because I had that with my 700 once and it reacted similarly. Any ideas what to check? Bad fuel?

Old 11-12-2007 | 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Did you clean the air filter?

Old 11-12-2007 | 04:20 PM
|
Trailblazer

Will do that tonight. Visually it looked pretty good but I will clean it to be sure. The puzzling part is it worked fine up to 9pm on Saturday when I parked it in the gagrage and when I took it Sunday at noon it was missing and sputtering with heavy acceleration. Could condensation have gotten in the tank? It was pretty much right empty overnight and then I filled it before taking it out on Sunday.

Old 11-12-2007 | 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have edited this reply ! Rolliepollieollie that was what i was going ask you first , was if you topped off the tank when you got back from the last ride before it started doing this ; and yes it could very well be moriture in the tank !

Easy way to check is to remove the fuel line from fuel injection system since it's EFI , and catch the fuel that run's out the fuel line ; any water that would've formed inside the tank should've been flushed straight into the injection system on start up !

So you may or might not have to drain the entire tank according to how much water is in the tank , first just let it sit for an hour or so water is heavier than gasoline so it will settle to the bottom of the tank ; then just remove the fuel line from the injection system and let some of the gas drain into a clear container to see if water is in the drained fuel !

And if i were you i would get a clear inline fuel filter and splice the fuel line and install the clear filter between the gas tank and fuel injection system ; and get a can of Sea Foam from an auto parts store they have it at Auto Zone , Advance and O'Reillys Auto Parts Stores and maybe even Wal Mart ; i get mine from O'Reillys for $5.99 + tax and it worth every penney !

Sea Foam is a fuel cleaner/stabilizer that will keep your entire fuel system clean , and also it will clean the combustion chamber of carbon deposit's ; it contain's a drying agent in it as well to help keep moriture out of your fuel system !

Plus it will keep fuel fresh longer , as much as 6 month's i've used fuel treated with the stuff from the end of mowing season untill the next spring ; and it would still burn as good as fresh fuel from the pump !
And with the high cost of gas it make's me cry to have to pour it out , just follow the direction's on the can for mixing ; i think one pint(16oz.) can treat's 8 to 25 gallons of gas and diesel average 1 oz. per gallon of fuel both 2 and 4 cycle engine's !

Just check it out at your local auto parts store and read what all it does , this is a long enough reply and it would fill a small book to type out all it will do to any type of engine it can even be used in the engine oil to free sticky lifters and rings internally and much more !

Way to much to list in this reply , so just check it out for yourself when you go into a auto parts store ; and ask where they keep the " Sea Foam " or " Deep Creep" the Deep Creep is the same as Sea Foam only it come's in a spray can !..............

Old 11-12-2007 | 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

its efi not a carb

Old 11-12-2007 | 07:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

the etc switch isnt to tight actingvating it is it? if it has water in, it would be back firing as well trying to burn the water. try some dry gas in it if you know theres water in it. just a couple of idears.

Old 11-13-2007 | 05:42 PM
Range Rover

I wld NOT touch it and take it straight back to the dealer period!! With that low of miles no way you need to clean filter. I wld just take her back, say ftw to dealer and have him worry about it.

Old 11-13-2007 | 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

I would guess if it ran fine untill you put gas into it, I would suspect bad fuel. Maybe try some fuel treatment.
If you take it to the dealer with a tank of bad fuel, you might be stuck with a bill to drain the tank and new fuel on top of that. Drain the tank and refuel yourself and then take it in if it's still not fixed.

And you wouldn't get enough condensation in your tank overnight or even a few nights. If that was the case you would never make it to work in your car after a few cold nights [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2007 | 05:05 AM
Pro Rider

rolliepollieollie I have edited this reply also because of some mistake's in the original reply's both this one and the first reply , because if you have more than a oz. of water and or trash in the tank ; it may require the removal of the tank to get all the water and trash from the tank !

And Again it doesn't matter if it's fuel injection or not , and i added the suggestion of using acetone that you can get from any hardware store to dry out any water that remain's in the tank ; acetone will dry out the fuel tank in less than 5 minutes after you pour the excess acetone from the tank !
Then mix some Sea Foam in a jug or straight into the gas tank if you prefer there's a drying agent in the Seafoam to help keep condensation from forming inside the tank ! But it's best to top off the tank with fresh fuel mixed or not mixed after each ride depending on how long it sit's between each ride !

And Sorry i made a mistake in the price of the Sea Foam : It's $5.99 + tax not $55.99 for a 16 oz can that will treat 5 to 25 Gallons of Gasoline or diesel fuel 1 oz. per gallon is all it take's and it's been around since 1942 !

I've been using it for over a year now and it's the best fuel cleaner/stabilizer i've ever used and it will keep your fuel fresh for up to 6 month's !

Sea Foam is safe to use in 2 and 4 stroke engine's both gasoline and diesel , and it's oxygen sensor safe i use it in my 87' Chevy S10 Pickup and my 88' GMC S1500 Jimmy 4x4 MPV !

I also use it in my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 Fis 4x4 with the Suzuki 376cc engine and Suzuki Duramatic Auto Belt Driven Clutch Transmission !
I still use Stabli fuel stablizer to treat fuel for my lawn and garden equipment when winterizing and storing them from one season to the next , but the only reason i still use it is because when i closed my Small Engine Service and Repair Shop i had a full case of the Stabil Fuel Stabilizer left over ; i use it for keeping regular fuel in two 2 and a half gallon jug's with regular 87 octane fuel !
And i keep one 5 gallon jug with Gas/Oil Mix just in case i need to use my chain saw !

Sea Foam has a money back Guarantee so there nothing to loose to try it !
If there are any double post's in these reply's it was only that i wanted to make sure every step was covered !.........

Old 11-14-2007 | 06:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

its an 08' so it must still be under the 6 months warranty, so if you you didnt get water in the fuel tank then take it back to the dealer to have them look at it.

Quick Reply: 08 800 Missing / Bogging