Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I really want to like...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really want to like...

my new 07 sportsman 700 twin....... but i dont...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] i just cant get past how bad it sounds when i'm riding....it sounds like the drivshaft is going to fly out any second....I know everyone says they are "clunky" but this is just horrible.... the whole time i'm riding all i can think about is that damn noise...everytime i let off the gas and go over bumps it down there clunking away....the dealer says it normal but come on $7000 bucks for a new machine and i have to worry about it..... my buddy bought an 07 450 sportsman almost the same day... his does not sound ANYTHING like mine..although it does look like a different driveshaft system....

Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

I'll give you $50 for it!

Just kidding. I have a 500 X2 and it's fine - just a little noise when switching from turf to 2wd to AWD. I think you really need to take it back in and have it checked. My manual says that you have to be very careful when lifting the ATV or you could slip a shaft. I don't much see how though. I lift mine all the time.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

I know they sound bad, and some are worse than others, but don't worry it will be just fine. I have seen some 2007 models with a loose chain in the trans/transfer case which will eat through the trans drain plug. If you see that when you change the oil take it to the dealer, otherwise I don't know of anything you can do about it.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my 06' 450 didnt make the sound either but my 06' and 08' 800's both made it. something about the newer twins i guess.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:07 AM
jp1
Trailblazer

check the fluids in the rearend polaris is good for not putting oil in them. Also use lucas diff & tran lube. This makes a hell of a differance. Mine always made a clunk until I changed. You can use the same oil for all the drivetrain.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:16 AM
jp1
Trailblazer

If you pull your plug out of the rear diff. And it has metal shaving's. Then drain the fluid and replace with cheap motor oil. run this for a couple of miles then drain. the plug has a magnet on the end of it . repeat until it is clean. Then you can fill with locus diff oil. That goes the same for the frount diff & the tranny.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jman0101

my new 07 sportsman 700 twin....... but i dont...[img][/img] i just cant get past how bad it sounds when i'm riding....it sounds like the drivshaft is going to fly out any second....I know everyone says they are "clunky" but this is just horrible.... the whole time i'm riding all i can think about is that damn noise...everytime i let off the gas and go over bumps it down there clunking away....the dealer says it normal but come on $7000 bucks for a new machine and i have to worry about it..... my buddy bought an 07 450 sportsman almost the same day... his does not sound ANYTHING like mine..although it does look like a different driveshaft system....</end quote></div>

also while we're on the subject of noise,my 500efi makes all kind of motor noises,thank god our cars and trucks don't sound like that,they never would sell one,lawnmowers don't sound like that for christ sake,why do atvs,they all do it,some worst than others,i can't see why in the hell they don't make a motor that don't sound like it's getting ready to blow up at any time,you can't even enjoy a nice ride in the woods, without being tormented with all the dam noise,i'm personally sick of it,there is no excuse for making an atv that way,i've heard alot of the noise is the oil pump,if that is true,why in the hell don't they make one that don't sound like that,if i made an atv that sounded like that i would be ashamed to put my name on the side of it,they do it because we let them...............