Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

oil question!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil question!

ok so if sportsmans have a dry sump system wherby the oil pumps in a certain amount of oil at a time from the oil tank, why would it hurt this type of system if you over filled the oil tank? I dont see how it can if the pumps can only bring it in the engine at a certain rate.

Also, can you use other than polaris oil WITH polaris oil? I'm an idiot and spilled a bunch of oil from my 2 quarts of Polaris oil and Polaris isnt open but WalMart is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Also does anyone know how much effect it has on your oil readin when you have a lift in the front? Does it change the angle of the dipstick enough to throw it off?

I was hoping just to put 2 quarts in and be done but now I have to depend on the dipstick reading to see how much I have to add to compensate my spillage.

THANKS

Old 11-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oil question!

brute your 450 only takes 2 qts to fill it and you could use mobil 1 if you dont have any polaris oil. really the only thing i can think of w/ too much oil would be excess built up presure from the excess and could cause damage. i think the dip stick from full to add is about 8 ozs so the angle wouldnt hurt it to much.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil question!

thanks Sten. So it's ok to mix the 2 oils together?

Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default oil question!

I do, even full synthetic can be mix with petroleum oil if you want to make your own blend.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default oil question!

thanks!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oil question!

i think mixing synt. w/ regual oil isnt something i would do. but as long as there both full synth then it wouldnt hurt.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default oil question!

Says right on the Synthetic label "Compatible with petroleum oil" I would have to look up the link But a oil info site tell how Synthetic blends are a rip of because they just use 2%-10% synthetic oil and you better off to mix your own blends.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default oil question!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Says right on the Synthetic label "Compatible with petroleum oil" I would have to look up the link But a oil info site tell how Synthetic blends are a rip of because they just use 2%-10% synthetic oil and you better off to mix your own blends.</end quote></div>

I would like to see that link if you can find it. I have never heard of any issues with mixing syn and petro oil together on 4 strokes either, but I have seen guys put syn 4 stroke in there 2 stroke machines and bye bye motor! If you can find the link, post it here or PM me with it please. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default oil question!

Here is one ,not the one I read but still says the same message. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.html

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Blended oil is an alternative to buying pure synthetic. It combines some synthetic base oil with conventional base oil. Typically it does not include the synthetic oil's advanced additives. The small percentage of synthetic base oil in a blend versus its price does not make it worthwhile, however. If you want to run a blend of oil to save money, I recommend blending the oil yourself. Put one quart of the synthetic oil of your choice and fill the rest with the same brand of conventional oil. Be sure that the synthetic your are using is compatible with conventionals. Check the label on the container. As of this date, Mobil's and Castrol's synthetics are compatible with conventional oils. I recommend staying with one brand to ensure that there are no compatibility problems. Blending oil in this way gives you a higher percentage of synthetic base, plus the advanced additives, for less cost than buying a blended oil.</end quote></div>

Another one. http://www.synlube.com/oil.htm

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Synthetic Blends, also known as semi-synthetic, use mix of non-conventional oils in combination with conventional petroleum oil.The "synthetic" content is usually less than 10% and sometimes as low as 2%. </end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Synthetic Blends offer NO advantage to consumers as they are priced two to three times higher than petroleum, they however offer much greater profits to marketers as they are much less expensive to produce than fully synthetic oils. </end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Huge investments in advertising and promotion of Synthetics benefit the sales of Synthetic Blends as consumers do not realize that they are getting very little extra performance over petroleum at much higher per quart price. </end quote></div>

Moral of the story? Don,t do Blends.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default oil question!

Thanks TLC