Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stuck oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck oil filter

Semi-anual lube and oil change on sp 700 was going great untill i encountered a very stuck oil filter. I have one of those rubber strap wrenches, and I literally broke the handle clean off. Just wondering if anyone has used the polaris oil filter wrench that the lady at the dealership tried to sell me. I'm feeling pretty sheepish for scoffing at the idea of buying a 30 dollar wrench to remove a filter. Is it just another strap type wrench, or a cap that fits over the end?

I also tried the old screwdriver through the filter and it simply chewed up the metal casing of the filter without budging it. Now i have a very greasy, serrated, mangled oil filter to remove. Not so fun as the weather has been dipping close to -30 C these last few days.

Any ideas for tips/tools, homeade or not would be greatly appreciated.

JR

Old 11-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuck oil filter

Is there a metal lip around the base of the filter?.............You can try to tap this very GENTLE with a flat screwdriver and hammer counter-clockwise to try and loosen right at the base!!!!..........Don't damage the surface face as the new filter will need to seal!!!!

I guess the person that put that filter on never did apply some oil directly to the gasket to lube it up first!!!...............Caper.................

APPLY oil to the rubber seal before installing new filter......This will make it ALOT easier to take off next time!!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stuck oil filter

Haha, well nothing like not following the instructions hey! It was most deffinatley the dealership who did the last change during a tune up. Not sure why they call it service when i spend this much time fixing their mistakes!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Stuck oil filter

I had a stuck oil filter on my lawn mower. I have a HUGE pair of pliars. I took out those and grabbed the oil filter (slightly crushing it) and it came off without much problem. If you can get a pair of those onto the filter, I'm sure it will come off. Of course it will depend on where your filter is. Good Luck.

OHNET

Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Range Rover
Default Stuck oil filter

I used a 24" pipe wrench to get the oil filter off on my boat. Of course there wasnt anything in my way as im sure there is for you.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stuck oil filter

I think your best bet at this point is to go to NAPA or other auto parts store and buy an end type filter wrench. Take the new filter with you to get a good fitting one. It should work if the case is not compromised by the attempt with the screwdriver.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stuck oil filter

I don't want to sound silly, but make sure you go the correct way. Lefty loosey, righty tighty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stuck oil filter

Advance Auto sells a part that fits over the end of the filter like a socket, then you just use a ratchet and 3/8" extension on it. It only costs a few bucks. You should be able to get a part like this from any auto parts store or even Walmart. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stuck oil filter

One thing about those cap wrenches you put a rachet on. They don't always fit all brands of filters. I got one for mine & it wopuld only fit a fram filter no others. I no this really doesn't help but don't want you to buy the rong thing. Try a channel lock at the base that someone else already said it works on mine.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stuck oil filter

I'd say a small pipe wrench ,heat it up aroud the base with a propane torch

Quick Reply: Stuck oil filter