Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Kit

Yes the kit will help no matter what size tires you have. What you gain with a kit is better belt grab, better engagement. Less heat because of less slipping and the EBS will be improved, you will use low far less. YOU WILL STILL NEED IT, but just less of the time. Slipping belt and heat are your enemies, heat causes the rubber in the belt to deteriorate and that in turn makes less grab which in turn causes more heat. Shorter belt life and far less performance.

No matter what upgrades you do you need to get the power to the grond in a more efficant way, that is what a kit will do for you. With a HC you will not lose any top end but will gain in low to mid. You won't gain any top end but you will get there faster because of better engagement and less slip.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch Kit

ok let me refrase my response(sorry for the dude, not a sufrer guy by any means)if you put a clutch kit on a four stroke atv all you will get is better belt grip for take off. you may get better back shift as well. yes even w/ smaller tires you will get better grip, but it wouldnt be needed. if you want something that shoots or wheelies out of the hole then you dont want a 800 lb bike. i dont know if utu did any testing on his 08'800 between the h/c and dalton but i did a little on my 06' 800 which has a differnt primary and a little less power. i found the heel clicker if you want to spend time trying differnt set ups and springs you will gain little(and i mean little) gain from the heelclicker on belt grab take off. what you loose is the top end(not much)and if not set up correctly you will be over reving which looses hp. if all you want is better launch just put in a differnt primary spring. utu might have some better set up advise for you but this is what i found after alot of changes to mine. good luck.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Kit

Guys if you drop tire size you should reclutch but you wont find a kit for that.You would have to do a custom set up to get the shiftout and backshift right.But with time and money it would be a screamer

Old 12-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Kit

stendori
I am interested in what setups that you used.

I respectfully dissagree whole heartedly with most of what you say. Because of the pattened design of the HC weight it transfers weight that a stock weight can not begin to compete with. No loss to top end as there is no reason, unlike a DALTON where you have to change the HELIX. I'll match a HC equipted machine to a stock machine anyday, you limit belt slip you gain performance. A kit will out perform a stock setup anyday, stock weights can't grab belt like a HC machine can. Check out ATVQUADSQUAD.com either in POLARIS or HEELCLICKER see how many are not happy with their HC.

I have or at least had a 2006 800EFI before totaling this summer with a HC installed, true not as much of an improvement as seen with earlier pre 20005 models. Because POLARIS has been improving clutches each year. But they are limited to the stock weight design that can't compete with a HC. not sure where you tested your unit but on the trails with improved belt grab better engagement and improved EBS they are worth the investment. I have used them since 2002 and wouldn't be without them. First thing I do with a new machine is install a HC. No need for a whole lot of tweaking as the basic setup will work just fine. You try just changeing springs you will have to ROB PETER to PAY PAUL. In other words what you gain one place you lose in another. You raise engagement you lose on the other end.

The 2008's 800/700 have heavier weights in them and HC is working on new ones for them now.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch Kit

well we each have our own opinions on the heel clicker and i gave my experince w/ it on my 06' 800 and my 06' 450 sportsmans and changed springs as well as differnt shim weights on the on the clutch and in differnt placements on the weight it self. for me w/ my tire set up and the amount of gain i received it wasnt worht the money. i did change more then springs and i have alot of time invested intrying differnt set ups on both machines and had alot of time talking to the boys over @atvquad inclucing cajan w/ i still have the emails where he gave me spring rate charts and graphs. so for me in my own testing to where it was a good match the gain for belt grip wasnt worth the $200.00 you spend on a heelclicker. oh and its only good out of the whole for a little mph as he told me as well and i totally agree w/ him on the limited distance it helps on the 06' 800 i had. sorry i gave my opinion on my results on my bikes. i wasnt trying to start a war here guys. have fun ride safe.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Kit

Hey we all have our own thoughts no need appoligse for shareing an opinion. i don't tyink that HC works well on a 450 since they have so little HP that is hard to make it wiork as it should. But since I had a 06 800 I know first hand what the kit will do to a machine.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.
Default Clutch Kit

Thank's for the reply's. Sten and UTU thank's. So what color primary spring would I get, see I didn't know that I could only change just the primary spring. I thought a complete kit was needed, thats why I came to u guys. Anyway thanx again.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Kit

Outback31

The reason for a kit is as I have stated, the clutch is a balanced unit. You change one thing it affects some thing else. You can just change springs you can change weights or HELIX. But if you don't understand what you are doing you are shooting in the air with your eyes closed. I found out the hard way that was the reason for my first of many kits. They work. Ypou want the best performance then by all means buy a kit. If you want to think you improved performance then just close your eyes pick some thing to change. The kits sell for a reason, the guys aren't just wasting their money because they have to much laying around.

Good luck with what ever decision you make.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:22 AM
UTU
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Kit

EPI's marron spring on the secondary is a good choice. I would leave the primary spring alone!!!!!I am partial to the Heel Clicker kit. My 2004.5 Polaris 700 made the differance between daylight & dark! BAMMMM I was gone! On the 2007 Polaris 800 I could tell the difference when I put the heel clicker in,,, not the same as the '04 polaris 700 BUT All the stock 800s were BEHIND me. Waiting on Cobb & HeelClicker on the kits for the 2008 Polaris 800 and will not be without one when they get 'em ready!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Outback31

Thank's for the reply's. Sten and UTU thank's. So what color primary spring would I get, see I didn't know that I could only change just the primary spring. I thought a complete kit was needed, thats why I came to u guys. Anyway thanx again.</end quote></div>

Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Default Clutch Kit

UTU dont you mewan a Maroon Primary and leave the secondary alone

Quick Reply: Clutch Kit