Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

swamp light or mudlight???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swamp light or mudlight???

ok i'm still on the tire subject. it seems everyone really likes the xtr's, but what about the swamp lights. Are they any good or sould i just go w/ the xtr's. i want to put 27" on my 800efi stealth . note there is a lot of mud were i ride.one more thing 14" wheels or just roll with the stockers ( thinking about the ss108's black)

Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

hello, I just got my 27" mud lites today on ss108 black wheels. I have a yellow 700 sporty. I have friends that have the mud lights and like them, I will find out this weekend. I was trying to decide between the same 2. I went with the muds because they were wider on 14" rims.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

how wide did u go up front.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Range Rover

I put swamplites on a scrammy, but I didn't ride it long b4 i traded bike off to a gade 500. I loved the back tires, but the fronts felt like I bolted basketballs to the end of the axles. Not sure my opinion counts though, cuz i didn't keep it long enough to get used to them.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

this is a section taken from the HL forum, the guy was doing a test between swamplites and swampwitches just thought this might interest you. i am looking at both swamplites and mudlite xl's so keep us updated.

Climbing:

This is the are that i had to have a good tire and this was also the are that had a suprising result.
In loose dirt they both performed the same, we couldn't tell any difference.
On the slick banks that are packed rock hard and we come right out of the ditch with wet tires and try to climb out the Witches to my suprise are WAY better. Yep WAY better. There is one section where i told him to try to go through because i could never make it through, it would just stop in the middle of the bank spinning all 4 tires. He made it up and out every single time. I even switched quads with him and the results were the same. ????

This was a big suprise and a big dissapointment to me as its the only reason i got them. Why would a block pattern tread not climb as well as a V-bar tread. It didn't make any sense to me. Then we found out why. My tires(Lites) when you spin them balloon up and drastically reduce the amount of tread touching the ground. I even kept lowering the air pressure.. ended up all the way down to 2.5lbs and could not ever make it out. The still ballooned up and just spun. The Witches are stiffer and kept there shape keeping traction. I was never even close to making the climb and he made it out everytime.

So overall we both think the Witches are a way better tire for comparable money. This is not to say the Lites are bad tires. They are heads and tails better than my stockers, but they are about the same price depending on where you buy them.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 10" in front and 12" in back. I went for a little ride today in a corn field and the do get some good off the line traction. This weekend I will give a better test. I should be doing some mud and hills. I will let you know.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

the swamps are good all-round tires, the mudlites are not that good on trails. ballooning up isnt an issue, besides, that would give you more clearance. time after time we watch kids try the mud hole wide open and spin down, we creep in, push em out, and walk on thru

Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

what are swampwitches i never heard of em. sound like there good though

Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Well from what I gather those swamp witches are made by Deestone, I found a couple sets on e-bay, if your going to do some serious mudding I would go with some HighLifter MST's or Outlaws, all those guys who go rack deep say they won't run anything else. Tires depend on what conditions you ride, you could always throw on a 6" lift and get a set of the new 32" Gorilla Silverbacks with 2" lugs

Old 11-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive seen the silverbacks, man those are bad. You know its a real mud tire when it comes with a warning lable.