Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What to do with Quads in Illinois for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do with Quads in Illinois for the winter?

I just use my 2-10-50 charger on 2 amp and charge each battery until the charger kicks off about once a month.
You can put stablizer in old gas too

Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the stab in the gas thats in there battery tender work good or reg charger like other said or charge the batterys up pull them and bring them in the house for winter

Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

I just use my 2-10-50 charger on 2 amp and charge each battery until the charger kicks off about once a month.</end quote></div>

Unless this 2-10-50 charger is totally automatic, I don't recommend using this type of charger, it will likely sulfate the battery and shorten it's life-cycle.

Fully automatic chargers put out a charging load until the battery hits a full charge, then they produce a regulated trickle charge to maintain the preset voltage. Once in a while they increase the charge to the battery which helps to circulate the battery acid which helps prevent sulfation. A continuous charge from a 2-10-50 will continuously charge the battery and the acid will start to boil thus dropping the level. Once the plates are exposed, they will sulfate and you'll have to replace the battery.

Take it for what its worth...

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Old 11-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SpudRacer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

I just use my 2-10-50 charger on 2 amp and charge each battery until the charger kicks off about once a month.</end quote></div>

Unless this 2-10-50 charger is totally automatic, I don't recommend using this type of charger, it will likely sulfate the battery and shorten it's life-cycle.

Fully automatic chargers put out a charging load until the battery hits a full charge, then they produce a regulated trickle charge to maintain the preset voltage. Once in a while they increase the charge to the battery which helps to circulate the battery acid which helps prevent sulfation. A continuous charge from a 2-10-50 will continuously charge the battery and the acid will start to boil thus dropping the level. Once the plates are exposed, they will sulfate and you'll have to replace the battery.

Take it for what its worth...

Tom

Bryson City, NC</end quote></div>

Mine is fully automatic kicks off at full charge

Old 11-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Range Rover

the old gas is an unknown amount in each quad so I guess I can guestimate how much is in each quad and then put new gas on top of the stabil that i need to add. The battery situation is a pain as I dont want to have to remove the six or eight batteries as we should be riding them a few times in the snow. Anyone have grip warmers???

Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

i would suggest rotating a couple of battery tenders on the machines.