Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Plowing Lots of Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Plowing Lots of Snow

Okay guys, I just took these pics today after I got done plowing. The snow is already higher than the ATV. As you can see, I have a large area to clear, so I have to stack and pile the snow in a few different areas of my driveway and yard.

The blade I'm using is the 50" I used last year on the 500. A 60" would be perfect for the 800 but I'd rather spend that money on something else. I was going to put the pics in a webpage for easier viewing but I'm running late and need to get ready for work. I'll work on the web page in the next few days hopefully.

I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

Great Pic's. Send a little snow to the south if you don't mind.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

Impressive what kind of driveway? blacktop, stone...? I see you weren't able to get the snow off the top of the mailbox? I'm just kidding! Hope mine works that well once I get all the right parts.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

We don't get much snow here in the winter, but I am constantly being reminded of "The blizzard of 93' " My questions is this... how hard on the ATV is plowing? I know it takes a toll on trucks over time, is it as harsh on your Polaris??

THanks,

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow...Nice pics sheepdog. I think after seeing them you have talked me into the
ITP Terracross tires. They look sweet on that 800 and from the looks of the tread
pattern in the snow they look like they bite real good. Thanks again. A picture is
worth a 1000 words...where is all that snow at anyways?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know how, but we missed the storm here in PA. I was just itching to get the Sportsman and the plow out. Those wheels really add a nice touch.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Holy smokers, gotta like dat UP-Per lake effect snow. Only got about 5-6" down here in NW-WI. Whe bouts in da UP you from?

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

SheepD,

Is that a Glacier II plow system?

R'

Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

I'm in Negaunee, which is pretty much right in the middle of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

My driveway is blacktop.

The plow is a Moose city plow, sometimes I wish I had the county plow because it would throw the snow farther.

I haven't noticed at all that the plowing is hard on the ATV. I plowed over 250 inches last year with the 500 and haven't done anything to it other than fluid changes. I haven't noticed any extra wear in the driveline. The clutch on the 500 still engages at 1,600 RPM so I think that pretty much means that the belt is still in good shape. I expect that the 800 will be the same or better since the clutch engagement on it is even lower than the 500.

As far as plowing, I suppose you could beat up the ATV if you wanted to. But I do all the plowing in my driveway and yard in LOW range and at less than 10 mph, and I don't ram the banks. Sometimes I plow the road a little to keep the plow truck from filling up the driveway when I'm done, and I do that in HIGH range at about 15 to 20 mph. Just my opinion, but I think plowing snow is easier on the ATV than mudding.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Plowing is easier on machine than muddin BUT not near as fun. Broke 1 plow frame hitting some buried ice. I always keep it in low, is plenty fast. Prefer a 60" plow as it cleans in front of the tires. Have snowmobiled about all the western UP but never been atvin up there.

Quick Reply: Sportsman Plowing Lots of Snow