Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 Polaris 700 Issue or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Polaris 700 Issue or Not?

Newbie here. Seems like an awesome place so I thought I would start here.

I recently bought a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI with approx. 350 miles and 49 hours on it. It seems to require a LOT of throttle to take-off. The motor even revs pretty high before it actually takes off. It runs out fine both on trails and thru the woods, the potential problem seems to only be an issue when taking off from a complete/dead stop.

For example, I have a fairly steep driveway and if I stop on my driveway and try to take-off it require A Lot of throttle to do so in High gear (almost half throttle).

In addition, I have noticed the breaks squeaking but they don't appear to be "holding" because I can roll the ATV by myself when it is turned off and in Neutral.

I just bought a the ATV about a week ago, plus this is my first Polaris, so is this normal or is there a potential problem here?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Shane

Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

bad belt or something in the clutch but im thinking your belt might be bad check the belt.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, hoyt!

Sorry for being a complete idiot here but what is the easiest way to check the belt and how do i know if the belt is "bad".

If I do need to replace the belt, which belt should I buy? Is there a model and/or brand I should go with?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

you really need a manual...but pull the cover and inspect the belt does it look worn? take a tape measure and measure the width of the belt in a bunch of spots all the way around it and see if its the same. as far as brand i just used dayco belts in my sleds and they worked good there might be better ones.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

I've read that the Polaris belts are the best choice. Regarding a lot of throttle to take off, it could just be that you're not used to the way the Polaris revs with the automatic transmission, it won't be like a Honda. For instance, my first ATV was a Honda Rancher, and it took off with very little throttle and I could pick the revs by whatever gear I wanted to ride in. When I switched to the Polaris with Automatic CVT, the first thing I noticed was how high the engine revved in order to take off and get up to speed, and that the revs stayed relatively high when cruising at a low to moderate speed (compared to the Honda). I'm thinking that the revs might be normal. What RPM are you seeing?

The clutch on my 500 engages at about 1,600 RPM but the ATV won't actually start moving out until it's well over 2,000 RPM. My 800 engages at 1,300 RPM and takes of fairly easily and quickly after that, but still revs fairly high when just cruising.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117Regarding a lot of throttle to take off, it could just be that you're not used to the way the Polaris revs with the automatic transmission, it won't be like a Honda. What RPM are you seeing?

The clutch on my 500 engages at about 1,600 RPM but the ATV won't actually start moving out until it's well over 2,000 RPM. My 800 engages at 1,300 RPM and takes of fairly easily and quickly after that, but still revs fairly high when just cruising.</end quote></div>

Thanks for your help. Ironically my previous ATV was a Foreman so that was the take-off was the very first thing I noticed, too.

Here is what I am seeing as far as RPM's:
- 1,190 RPM at idle
- 1,600 ~ 1,700 RPM to engage
- 2,200 ~ 2,300 RPM to take-off

I have noticed that if you ease into the throttle and left off that the bike feels like it is slowing itself down and will not "coast". Do you know if this is ordinary?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

most likely your 500 has EBS which is engine braking system. with this feature the atv will not cost. this is normal and helpful when going down inclines.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

leaky,

The Sportsman will not coast, even my 500 without EBS won't coast. The clutch has a "backshift" phase, sort of like downshifting, that won't allow it to coast until the clutch disengages and it just free-wheels. If you have EBS (Engine Braking System) it won't ever free-wheel. So there is probably nothing wrong with your ATV.

Check THIS thread for some information that might help you more in determining if what you're observing about your ATV is normal.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have a link how to change your belt but how do you get it on here?

i would say your belt needs replacing - prob was owned by some dude that didnt know about how to use low gear (i am speaking from experience) lol

i burned my belt a bit and it doesnt take off right away like it did the day before I tried to load into my pickup in high gear DUH.......I was new and now I know better

Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

copy and paste it.

Quick Reply: 04 Polaris 700 Issue or Not?